Fifteen: Give him hell

**TW: DE@TH**

"My angel" My grandmother breathed out, opening her arms for me.

I embraced her, flashbacks of him replaying in my mind.

I felt a hand reach for mine, so I spun around, meeting eyes with my grandfather.

He smiled at me, despite all the wires, he shined so bright.

"My little girl, I need to speak with you before your mother comes" he croaked out.

I wiped my tears, sitting between him and my grandma, fighting the urge to hug him.

I nodded, ready to listen to what he had to say.

"Nana and I knew this day would come. We would end up here. I need you to understand, Angel, it hurts. It hurts more when they try to bring me back than just leaving me" he began explaining, ripping my heart from my chest.

He squeezed my hand three times, our silent I love you.

"I signed a DNR. Please, don't tell your mother, not until I've passed. I know it's a lot to ask but you are so strong, so, so brave. She needs you"

I held onto my chest, feeling sick. Like I was going to throw up.

"Promise me?" he whispered so I cried against his hand, squeezing it three times.

The door burst open; my tear stained mother being comforted by David. I smiled weakly at them, watching as they made their way over.

I watched as everyone talked. As my mother told my father he'll be okay, that David is the best Cardiothoracic surgeon.

It broke me; with every ounce of hope she had, it crushed me.

I left the room, leaning against the wall as I tried to collect my thoughts.

"My love" mum's voice cracked as she caressed my face, wiping away my tears.

"He will pull through, I promise you. You know David's the best there is, he has a fighting chance" She attempted to assure me.

If only you knew, mum. The way her eyes fought the urge to cry in front of me, how she held herself. She has always been who I wanted to be.

After a few hours, mum had to leave due to visitation hours. Nana vouched for me to stay with them, so I laid on the couch.

"My girl" Nana's gracious voice whispered, sitting beside me.

I smiled up at her, "What happened?" she asked, gently grazing the scars on my face.

I told her about the paparazzi, that alone almost shattered her heart. I couldn't possibly tell her about the incident with Hardin, not with everything going on.

* Next Day *

I woke up, jolting up and panting. I looked around to see Nana look at me startled as grandpa chuckled.

"Still here, Angel" he grinned weakly, making me sigh with relief.

I got up, freshening up in the bathroom before joining my grandparents for breakfast.

"Will you do something for me, Angel?" Grandpa asked hesitantly.

I nodded eagerly; I'd do anything for him. The man who helped raise me.

"Talk to you father. I don't care if you give him hell or forgive him, just try" He instructed.

I pressed my lips together before agreeing, "I can give him hell" I chuckled lightly.

"I watched you say your first words, take your first steps, sing your first song. I'll be damned if you never sing again, please don't ever stop gracing me with your voice. Even when I'm gone, I'm listening. I'm there. I'm the keys of the piano, the stand to the mic, the strings to your guitar"

He smiled wide, reaching for our hands.

"You two, and your mother, are the sole lights of my life. I have loved you from the very day I laid eyes on you. My Angel, you will prosper and continue doing great things in life. I love you so much, you've given me life until my last breath" he managed to say.

We both smiled at him, "I love you" Nana whispered, kissing his head.

I tried, but the words wouldn't come out, so he squeezed my hand lightly three times.

I cried, returning the squeeze until his grip loosened and the machines began blaring.

Nurses and a doctor rushed in; their sympathetic faces were all I could see.

"Time of death, 8:15am" the doctor announced, adding more weight to my chest.

I left the room, catching my breath as I leant against the wall and put my head in my hands.

"Aspyn?" David's voice called out, so I looked up to see him running toward me until his arms were around me.

"Dad" I cried out, probably soaking his coat. He relaxed his arms, rubbing my back as he said his apologies.

"I got you, I got you, love"