Twenty Seven: 5 Hours

It has been a week since everything happened. I stayed with my parents, practically a robot. I woke up, got myself ready, ate, read books, slept. I was lost, not myself.

My parents are worried, they don't want me moping around the house, to get some fresh air and see my friends. I can't. I'm not ready to leave just yet.

I was sitting on the couch, reading a book before the front door opened. I turned around to see who it was before clenching my chest.

"Giana?" I asked, looking up at Mum who was with her.

She grinned up at me, "Hi Aspyn" she beamed, running over to hug me.

"I always wanted a big sister, you're so pretty" she exclaimed as I looked down in shock.

I smiled at her before looking at mum, "Um, feel free to watch some TV, I need to talk to my mum" I said, still very confused.

I walked toward the kitchen, waiting for an explanation. "I don't know my love, your father called and said that he needed Giana to be with someone he trusts, you. I don't know where his wife is but please. I think you both need this"

I looked back at Giana before giving in, sitting beside her on the couch. I grinned once I saw she picked Tangled.

"I love this movie too" I spoke softly, hearing her gasp and cling onto my arm.

I watched as she sung along to the songs, swaying in her seat. I do that too.

"do you have one?" She spoke up, glancing at me.

I furrowed my brows, "one what?" I asked.

She smiled shyly before cupping her hand by her mouth, "Flynn Rider" she whispered.

I froze, remembering the look on Kian's face, the pain and tears we both shared.

I nodded; I'm not shattering her heart."Yeah, I did. His name is Kian, he's really funny and sweet. He dances with me, hugs me when I'm sad, really goofy. He even sings and dances with me when we cook"

I felt her nuzzle beside me, cupping my face. I looked at her before she wiped away a tear.

"Happy tears?" she asked, tilting her head.

I cleared my throat, wiping away the tears.

"Um kinda. I left him because sometimes you go through hard times and make the wrong decisions. Or the right ones but they hurt just as much as the bad" I explained.

She nodded, understandingly. "Yeah like one time dad didn't let me watch Tangled so I didn't eat my vegetables" she said proudly.

I burst out laughing, caressing her hair. I guess my little sister isn't too bad.

Once the movie was over, Giana and i had some lunch together as mum left to see Nana.

My phone began ringing so I checked it to see the hospital.

Maybe it's Dad calling to check up.

"Hi, can I confirm that this is Aspyn Hale?" they answered the phone. My heart sunk; I had a very bad feeling.

"Uh yeah, this is. Is something wrong with my dad?" I stuttered, walking away from the table so Giana didn't hear.

There was a pause which felt like forever. "Your father, Adrian Hale was admitted. He listed you as an emergency contact and we need you to come in as soon as you can"

I shut my eyes, feeling physical pain. Everything after felt like a blur, getting Giana and I ready, driving to the hospital, walking inside.

She held onto my hand as we were escorted to the room, so I stopped, looking at him through the window.

He was awake and saw me so I took a deep breath before walking inside with Giana.

I sat in the chair beside him, completely zoned out, not hearing a thing he was trying to say before Giana held my hand.

I smiled weakly, handing her my phone to distract her.

"I'm about to go into surgery. I don't know how I'm awake and talking to you but it feels right" He spoke up, placing his hand over mine.

I looked at him, blinking away the tears.

"What are the chances" I asked, scared of the answer.

He gulped, turning to look at Giana. "Low" he whispered.

I can't cry, I have to be strong for her. For my sister.

"Where's your wife?" I asked making him sigh.

He hesitantly answered, "She divorced me, gave me full custody of Giana. I need to ask you something, please"

I nodded, ready to answer whatever it was.

"I want you to become her guardian. She has no one else and I only trust you. I want to leave hale industries to you, and to have my daughters together. You're an adult and I know you'd give her the best life" He said, tears streaming down his face.

I looked at her, smiling at the phone, so unaware of what was happening.

Could I take care of a six-year-old? Be a guardian?

"Your parents are too busy for a child, and they would support you with this" he added.

I wiped away my tears, nodding. "Yes, but you're not dying, you're leaving us. Save it"

He chuckled before caressing my face, "I heard about it. I saw the love within the way you both looked at each other. Go, tell him before it's too late. Don't make the same mistake"

My chest felt heavy as the nurses walk into the room, "I'm not leaving you" I whispered.

He smiled, "Yes you are. I'll see you 5 hours"