xxii. the monument

CHAPTER XXII
the monument

CHAPTER XXIIthe monument

WASHINGTON, USA — 2017

"YOU GUYS, I am so proud of you."

Only a few hours ago, the team had won the competition, all thanks to Michelle. They were all beaming with happiness and excitement, especially now that they were standing right in front of the Washington Monument.

Noah, though, had been completely silent. He hadn't answered a single question at the decathlon competition. That was mostly because he was concerned. He was just worried that Peter had just suspiciously disappeared last night and hadn't returned without a word.

Aside from that, Noah was currently walking towards the tall monument with his classmates.

"Told you we didn't need Peter!" Flash said.

"Flash, you didn't answer a single question." Ned replied.

Michelle had decided to stay behind and to not follow the rest of the team. She just stared up at the enormous structure before her.

Mr. Harrington being his thoughtful self, he approached Michelle, wondering why she wasn't following along.

"Taking it all in, Michelle?" He asked.

"Oh, yeah, I just, um-" She responded. "I don't really want to celebrate something that was built by slaves."

"Oh, I'm sure the Washington Monument wasn't built by-"

All of a sudden, a security guard nearby gave Mr. Harrington a hand gesture, informing him that the monument was indeed built by slaves.

Mr. Harrington cringed. He turned back around to face Michelle, the tension between them now extremely awkward.

"Okay." He spoke. "Enjoy your book."

"Thanks."

And with those words, Mr. Harrington rushed off, only to leave Michelle standing outside all on her own. He quickly caught up with the rest of the team, who were currently in security.

As Noah was beginning to put his things throughout the security scan, he heard Ned's phone ringing, causing him to glance over.

Ned, who was stood right next to Noah, answered the phone call that he was receiving. He placed the phone to his ear, the voice on the other side loud enough for Noah to hear.

"Oh, Ned, you're alive!" A breathy voice, which belonged to Peter, said from the other side of the call.

Oh, thank god. Noah was so thankful to hear Peter's voice again. He continued putting his items throughout security, continuing to listen in on the conversation.