xliii. rocks and rivers

CHAPTER XLIII
rocks and rivers

CHAPTER XLIIIrocks and rivers

GEORGIA, USA — 2023

AS MORE AND MORE VEHICLES ARRIVED, Noah stood at the front porch of the small cabin. He was wearing all black, wearing a silky polo shirt and some dressy bottoms, perfectly dressed for the saddening occasion.

He looked down, his head lowered as he fidgeted with the metallic rings that were wrapped around his fingers. He was nervous, certainly not ready for this funeral as Tony was a really special person to him. But, he couldn't just skip it, for obvious reasons.

His green eyes looked exhausted and tired, as if he hadn't slept for days, which was quite correct. His cheeks also looked like they were stained red from sobbing all day long.

Stephen and Fiona had seemed to had arrived, each of them wearing all black, as everybody else was. They slowly approached Noah, obviously not smiling.

"Hey." Fiona greeted.

Noah glanced up, his back leaned against a wall. He inhaled in a shaky breath, looking between the two wizards as he nodded his head ever so slightly.

"Hi." He replied blankly.

"You doing alright?" Fiona asked.

Of course Noah wasn't feeling okay. He glanced off to the side, dozing off for a few moments. He firmly pressed his lips into a thin line, forcing himself off the wall that he was leaned up against.

"We should go inside." He suggested.

The two wizards didn't hesitate on wandering throughout the entire cabin with Noah, attempting to find where everybody else was.

As the three entered the wooden building, Noah examined each and every inch of the entire house. He was intrigued by each printed photo that was framed onto the wall, each piece of furniture that was built.

Once the three had finally found the back doors which led to the garden, where everybody else was standing, Stephen gently placed his hand onto Noah's shoulder as Fiona walked out. He proudly smiled, nodding his head reassuringly.

"You did great, kid."

"Thank- Thank you."

And with those words, Stephen let his hands drape to his sides. He began to slowly follow his younger sister outside, abandoning Noah with a small group of people who were all sat in the living room.

Slowly turning around, Noah could see the group of guests, one of them being Peter. He could tell that Peter had been crying all day, too. He slowly approached the small group, seeing that Pepper was fiddling with Tony's helmet.

As he halted right behind the couch, leaning against it, a hologram projection of Tony flickered on from the helmet, which Pepper had put back down moments later.