Chapter 12: Be careful what you wish for

The next day Meiling and Si walked to the airport where they were supposed to meet the rest of the group to bit goodbye to Jing. Si stopped on the way to get Jing a present, which made Meiling giggle at the kind of the present her brother decided to take. As the two arrived at the airport the group made of Ximen, Meizuo, Shancai and Quinche.

"Si. Meili. Isn't Lei with you?" Meizuo asked.

"He's not here?" Si asked and the boys shook their heads.

"I knew he felt bad about Jing leaving, but I never thought he will not show up to say goodbye for good." Meiling said as she stepped to stay with the others. She observed the way her brother was looking at Shancai and she couldn't stop but wonder: what's up with these two?

"What is in the box?" Quinche asked curious. Si looked at Meiling and she looked at her brother smirking at each other as the chuckled.

"This? It's a present for Jing. It's something special. I won't show it to just anyone." Si said smirking.

"Let me see." Quinche said smiling.

"No." Si said serious.

"Come on." Quinche saod starting to grab the box.

"No." Si said as he pulled the box.

"Come on. Thanx." Quinche said as he took the box smiling. Si smirked while nudging his sister shoulder while she watched amused. The freshman then opened the box and got startled when a toy jumped out of it throwing the box in Meiling's hands, as she caught it giggling. "What is wrong with you?" Quinche asked as he tried to hit him, Si put his arm around his neck keeping him still.

"What Quinche?" Si asked amused.

"What?" Quinche asked still a little startled.

"Wasn't it funny?" Si asked smirking.

"What? No!" Quinche said.

"Quinche...didn't anyone told you to stay in your place and mind your own business?" Meiling asked the freshman with a innocent smile while he looked at her shocked. "Besides, don't you know is rude to open someone else's present?" Meiling asked, now the smile gone, a serious face replacing the one light up face. The boy stayed silent and looked down in shame. Suddenly Si noticed the way Shancai was acting.

"Hey, why do you look so sad?" Si asked curious. "You're already ugly. Looking sad only makes it worse." Si continued and Meiling sighed at her brother's choice of words but she knew he was just trying to make the girl feel better. Maybe he knew what he needed to do to win the girl over.

"Daoming Si, do you have someone you like?" Shancai asked and for a second Meiling mentally facepalmed herself at the question.

"Why the sudden question?" Si asked curious and confused.

"This is how it is it when you like someone. As long as they are happy it's ok to stand and watch them from afar." Shancai said.

"How stupid must you be to say such a thing? If that's the case then it's as good as nothing. What if you died tomorrow? A lifetime of regret?" Si asked and then he turned to look at his sister that was looking at him biting her lower lip.

Maybe her brother was right. Maybe her case could be classified as a life full of regrets. The regret of not having enough freedom to do what she pleased, and only when she had the freedom to choose what she loved to do to regret it later that she couldn't as much time with her brother and friends as she wanted to. Meiling was famous, she worked hard to be at the top, and the support of her family and friends made a huge difference for the girl, and she was grateful for everything, but still...she couldn't stop regretting those years she spend away.