Chapter 79

Belle Pov

I pull open the door and peak through the small crack. This time, I'm met with a dark black button up shirt. "Hello?"

I watch as the buttons heave up and down as the person heaves a large breath. "I was waiting for you."

I shut the door.

I take in a large breath and press my back against the door and close my eyes. What did I just do?

"Isabelle?" I hear Ptolemus question behind the closed door. Hearing his voice almost brings me to tears. "Isabelle, are you okay?"

No. Go away.

"Isabelle, I need to see you. Open the door."

I bit my lip and envision him out there. Standing firm in his clean pressed clothes staring at the door probably seeing me as I see him. I turn around and press my forehead against the dark wood. My throat constricts as I try to take a few more deep breaths. I don't know how long it takes for me to collect myself but I know he's still there. I can feel it. Finally I say, "We need to talk."

He's silent for a moment before answering, "I agree. I would prefer we do it face-to-face, not through the door."

"It's easier this way."

I hear him sigh. "Isabelle, I need to see your face. I have to know you're okay."

I grasp the door handle. "You said you've been waiting for me?"

"Always."

My heart beats roughly against my chest, ready to burst. Damn him. Slowly, I crack open the door, inch by inch until it's open enough for him to step inside. I force myself to look up at him. He's everything that I remember expect for the dark circles under his eyes and the lack luster of his silver hair. His body is pulled taunt but his eyes are awake.

"Hey."

"Hey."

I step aside. "You can come in."

After a moment he steps and we are careful not to touch each other. "Thanks."

I close the door and lean against it. In the middle of the room, Ptolemus stands awkwardly, looking around the room. His gaze eventually lands on the bed and he licks his lips. Finally, he speaks. "H-how are you?"

Great. Small talk. "I'm fine. How are you?"

He chuckles dryly. "Been better."

I nod and suddenly run out of things to say. We stand there.

"I've been waiting for you," he starts after a long minute. "I was worried when I woke up and you were gone."

"I uh, I had somewhere to be."

"Oh."

I bit my lip and take a deep breath. "Ptolemus-,"

"Yes?"

My gaze flickers up to his and I'm a little stunned at his reaction of his own name. His own gaze is unwavering on me, wide and hopeful. "This night...it...it can't end like it did last time."

His face drops. "What? What do you mean?"

I shake my head. "We can't get caught up like that anymore."

He takes a few steps towards me. "But that night...that night was perfect. You. You were-"

"It was a mistake." I say a little too fast and I watch as his face drop and my heart breaks a little.