Chapter19

Ptolemus Pov

I feel foolish. I feel so many things, but a fool is main one of them right now. Belle looks up at me her dress pooling around our feel gracefully. Between us. I should have known. Belle looks divine in her usual red. Red flowers decorating her bust and parts of the bottom. The cluster of diamonds, pearls and gold around her neck, winking at me in the light of the ballroom. A golden glow applied beautifully to her cheeks, and striking red lips that is the main focus on her face. Her hair cascading down her back.

She dips into a bow before I can say anything else, "Belle, what are you-," I start before my question is answered .

"Ptolemus," I hear the crown prince says from behind me. Belle rises, as he comes to stop in front of us.

"Your Highness," I greet bowing my head. His smile is as bright as his flame. I feel a small delicate hand slide into mine, squeezing in support. Of course he notices but he doesn't point it out, and Isabelle doesn't seem to mind that he did notice either.

"My lady Nornus," he dips his head towards her, "I hope your enjoying your evening."

"Of course, Your Highness." she smiles.

"Good," he replies before returning his attention on me. "I wanted to ensure that the plan was still set after tomorrow. Your still accompanying me to the trenches." My heart squeezes and Belle's hand follows suit. I hadn't told her, it completely slipped my mind. And I don't want her to find out, not like this.

"Of course," I say glancing down at Belle. She isn't looking at me or the prince but keeps her head down her lips pressed into a firm line. Tiberias notices this too, his smile dropping. "I look forward to it,"

"Great," he says another glance at Belle. "You two enjoy the rest of your evening." He walks away towards his father, as Belle sighs.

"Thanks for the heads up," she says not looking at me.

"I meant to tell you," I start.

"You meant to tell me?" she interrupts looking at me. I had expected to see her eyes lit with anger, but anger is only a shadow. I see concern and hesitation. For me. "When did you plan on that?"

I have no answer for her, I really don't. I don't like the look she is giving me either, it makes me feel bad. Sadness flows in, her lips pulling into a frown. I've never seen her frown before.

Red Pov (Third Person)

He watches with narrowed eyes, looking for the man's face he memorized. Through the swarm of Silvers, it takes a while. Chatter, laughter, and the smell of food that will never touch his tongue reach all the way up here. Ptolemus Samos. The name appeared in his mind, and the face.

There. He aimed his gun, finger resting readily on the trigger. He was facing him, looking down at a girl who's back was to him. He looked guilty, or ashamed. The red man scoffed in his throat, Silvers feel no such thing. But the girl was blocking his shot.

"Any moment now," Farley whispered, her face twisting into a sinister grin. The man found in contagious.

"The girl," he whispered back to her. "She is in the way," he pointed with the rifle towards Ptolemus who was speaking again.

Farley looked over her lips twisting into a scowl. "Can you shoot without hiting her?"

The man processed the situation and where the silver couple stood. The girl was in danger by standing so close to Ptolemus, but if he aimed right and she didn't move a muscle, it could be a fatal shot for the intended target. He nodded and Farley drew back, bracing herself. He bit his lip, took a deep breath, aimed, the lights flickered and went out.

And fired.

Belle Pov

I'm hurt he didn't tell me. He probably expects me to be angry, but I'm not. No use in being angry, I'm more concerned. I know many men don't come back from the rages of war, more come back different, not the same, and never will be. No Merandus whisper can change that either. I sigh, stepping closer reaching for him.

It all happens so quickly. I don't have to time to process it before it happens. One moment, I'm reaching for my boyfriend, the light flicker into darkness, and searing pain tears through my arm. I scream, and I'm not the only one to do so. Ptolemus catches me, as I stumble nearly tripping over my dress. We fall together, fire eating at my up at my flesh.

Tears cloud my vision and all I see is his blurry face. A very angry face. I feel the vibrations of hundreds of pairs of feet, thundering for the exit. The bark of commands and screams of terror.

"Belle!" Ptolemus shouts pulling me up. I scream at the pain, feeling moisture between my fingers. I look at them and see bright silver. Blood? Ptolemus forces me to look at him, as the world fades into focus. I gasp at the gushing blood, and ruined armor at the shoulder. I press my hands to stop the bleeding only to wince as pain shoots up my arm.

"Samos!" I gasp, "You-your shoulder!"

He furrows his eyebrows his face twisted into a sneer. I takes my arm, my uncut one and pulls me away, rushing, his grip tightening on my skin. I let him usher me out, practically running to match his long angry strides. "Here," he hands me off to somebody and I feel the familiar warmth of Christian. "She needs to be healed, and get her back safely!" Ptolemus says eyes lit.

Christian nods his eyes hard and dark. "Come on, Belle!" he takes my hand and the world blurs. Faces blend, as my feet move on their own. I don't even feel the wind on my face, as we speed past crying faces and colorful bodies. My arm aches, and I briefly look down to see silver blood stain the flowers on my bust dripping down to my bottom, like silver tears.

We stop and Christian presses his hand to my arm, looking around. He reaches out his other hand, grabbing a healer out of the crowd. He yelps, pulling away but Christian's grip holds firm. Panic sits in the healer's eyes, as he looks from Christian to me. "Heal her," he demands yanking the healer towards me.

The man stumbles before catching himself. His eyes land on my wound instantly, and for the first time, I look at it. It slices across my shoulder, nothing too serious, but serious enough for Ptolemus and my brother at least. The healer places his hand over my wound, his skin cool. I shiver in delight as a tingling sensation covers my shoulder. Its over in a few seconds, and he pulls his hand away, yet I still feel the ghost of his palm on my skin.

Christian exhales and the healer scrambles away without another word. Christian takes my hand again, and I let him lead my back to the safety of the residence. I look down at my dress to see the blood. Ptolemus' ruined shoulder and armor flash behind my eyes, and I run my fingers over the blood. I may be carrying his blood around, or it could be mine. I'm not sure I want to know.

Ptolemus Pov

I can still feel the impact of the bullet, colliding into my flesh with ease, even though my shoulder is healed. It would have killed me if Belle hadn't slowed it down. My life was saved at the cost of her nearly losing hers. The thought and the reality of it makes my blood boil. Evangeline, was my next thought, after I insured Belle's safety. I couldn't find her in the chaos, and that only made me angrier.

I rub my fingers together and feel the mixture of Belle's and my blood. It happened all so quickly, as I caught her as she fell. The sound of her tears hitting my armor louder to me then anything else. I nearly laughed as she ignored her own injury, rushing to stop the blood from mine. My head spins, with Belle's twisted face of pain, Evangeline's, Belle, Eve. It frustrates me. Belle is safe. She is with her family. Find Evangeline.

No doubt at the panic room for situations like this. I find my way there, passing Sentinels too occupied to notice me. Servants who cower away, and keep close to the walls. "We can't permit you to enter," One guard says stepping in front of my path.

I growl ready to tear through the them. I can feel my temper rise, I can feel my muscles tense. The guards sense it too. "You just missed them. The cells."

Author Note: I really hope everyone is enjoying the story. Please, leave comments and give feedback, I'd really appreciate it. Share with others. Enjoy the next chapter.