Chapter 52

Isabelle Pov

The walk back to my chambers is long and tension filled, and I stare at my shoes the entire time and the passing carpet. I can hear his footsteps as he follows me, not speaking a word but also saying so much. I prepare for the inevitable, the long list of questions he is no doubt forming in his own head. I don't know how to even begin to think about how I'm going to answer them. But I am also grateful for the time alone with him, maybe we won't argue. Maybe.

When we reach my chamber door I try to hide the tremors in my hands, perhaps shivering throughout my body. Ptolemus reaches past me, twisting the doorknob and pushing it open. I feel my breath catch in my throat as I hesitate to step in. Sensing it, I feel the gentle pressure of his fingers on my back and the gentlest whisper he can manage next to my ear. "Isabelle, it's okay."

Swallowing I push open the door and step in. Relief floods me when I see Roe and Kess pull their shoulders back in their usual corner of the room, ready to help me undress and to start my bath. I see Roe's eyes tick to Ptolemus behind me. I open my mouth getting ready to excuse them when Ptolemus' voice booms over me. "Leave us," he says firmly verging on harsh and completely unnecessary.

I sigh, "Please, Roe, you and Kess can have the rest of the night off."

She nods once, "Yes, my lady." She bows to Ptolemus and Kess is quick to follow her out. Once the door closes behind them I turn to Ptolemus moving slow so not to trigger another wave of nausea.

"You don't have to be so hateful," I scold.

Confusion lights across his eyes, "What-?"

"They're the only ones I've actually been able to rely on here. You shouldn't be so cruel."

"They're Reds." He argues

"They're human," I retort turning away from him.

"What do you mean they're the only ones. You have me."

I scoff pressing my hand to my forehead. My hands are clammy and warm and does nothing to cool my skin like I had hoped. "Yea, right," I manage to say walking away.

"Hey," he says steadying me. He turns me around to face him, tipping up my chin up to face to look at him. "Are you okay?" I feel his arm wrap around my waist, pressing me close. Warmth, a good happy one floods through me. His eyes go distant for a moment, "How long have you been feeling like this?"

I swallow, "I'm fine."

"Tell me," he commands softly.

"A few days, maybe," I shake my head, "I think it's just homesickness."

He purses his lips, "Are you sure? Isabelle you're sweating excessively and these dizzy spells-"

I nod, "Yes, well, it's hot. Ptolemus I'm fine. I just need some sleep. I haven't been sleeping well. Haven't been for weeks."

"Can I do anything?" he asks pulling me closer. Pulling our faces closer and it's easy to guess what he is hinting at. Fire lights in my body. I place my hands on his chest, feeling the thump of his strengthening heartbeat under my fingertips. I lick my lips, my tongue blissfully cool.

"But I could have a fever, or something," Is my pathetic comeback.

He leans forward pressing out foreheads together, "Then I suppose we can be sick together."

I smirk, loving the realness of it, "You'd do that? For me?"

He shrugs, "We can take care of each other." It occurs to me we haven't been this close in weeks, and despite it all, I miss him. And by the fervent look in his eyes, it hasn't been far from his mind either. "I miss you Isabelle. I love you."