Chapter 54

Isabelle Pov

In the void somewhere between sleep and awake I hear the run of the shower, and distant rumbling. Somewhere in the midsts I think I must be hearing things and let myself fall back in once more.

Sometime later, I feel the dip of the cushion. "Isabelle." A large palm rests on my head softly and I turn towards it. "Wake up, Nornus."

I blink my eyes open, my skin tingled as Ptolemus runs his fingers from my head down my neck and over the curve of my shoulder. "Ptolemus?" I manage to grumble my voice rough from sleep.

"Mmm?"

"When did you get back? I was worried about you." I pull myself up, noticing that I'm still on the sofa.

"So worried that you decided to take a nap?" he chuckles but without humor.

I shug, "I guess." I turn to look at him, taking him in. He looks tired, although he is clean, freshly washed of all the dirt, and I'd imagine blood, from his skin. A weight is pulled from my shoulders. "You're here," I sighed reaching up brushing a piece of his silver streaked hair from his face. "I suppose that means we won?"

His shoulders drop and he tilts his head slightly to lean into my palm, "Yes."

"Did you get any sleep at all?" I ask running my fingers over his eyes. "You must be exhausted."

He takes my hand, folding it over in his. He turns, so my hand cups over his chin and lips. He is silent as he closes his eyes and breathes in deeply. He can't say it, he doesn't know how. But he's not good at hiding it. When he opens his eyes once more, shadows lurk in them.

My stomach turns when I come to a sudden realization. "My family?" I ask leaning closer. "Did you see any of my house on the battlefield?"

His eyes tick to mine. "I would assume," he states plainly, "They would be essential in battle and for communications.

Dread pools in my gut, rendering me mute for a few moments. My family's faces blaze before my eyes

He pulls my hand away from his face and presses his lips against the tender skin of my wrist, my pulse quickening under his touch. He sighs deeply, "Everyone will be gathering in the council chamber soon. I just wanted to see you."

I nod, "I told you everything would be okay." I pull my hand out of grasp and run my fingers through his hair, noting that it's still slightly damp. "Everything is okay. You're okay." I kiss him softly, feeling him relax under my lips.

He groans, "I need to go," he grumbles, his eyes dark with restraint.

"Alright," I say. "Go."

He stares at me for a few more moments not moving from his spot. He reaches over and runs the end of my braid between his fingers. "I want to stay."

I offer a small smile, removing his hand from my hair. "I know." I notice his prince's crown sitting beside us on a small lamp stand, the simple metal design dull and grey in this lighting. The metal scraps roughly against the wood as I pick it up, noticing the heavy weight. He watches, as I turn it over in my hands. Grasping it, I push it down on his head, feeling it slid into place. His gaze is unreadable. "Go."

When he is gone, I couldn't bring myself to linger in the room any longer than I had so instead, still hungry and less tired, I found my way to the kitchens. Roe followed dutifully, letting me find my way.

I scarcely admire the tower of Corvium, walking past numerous doors that I'm sure led to important rooms. Some are flown open, revealing salons, while others are bustling with activity. People crowding around tables strewn with papers. I move past them all. I eventually find my way to the kitchens, its bare and empty.