Chapter 23

Ptolemus Pov

   Reality sucks. It really does, and I realize I've been out of it for a while now. Evangeline looks hopeful, and I bite my lip to keep from saying anything I'll regret. Her smile is bright, as she pulls her hair back off her shoulder.

   "We have to inform Father, of course," she says looking at Elane who sits quietly beside her. "Better sooner then later,"

   "He probably already knows Eve." I tell her my hand grasping my knee.

   She nods, "You're probably right," she agrees. "Well, then I guess its up to us." She claps her hands together and takes Elane's hand. "When do you think the wedding should take hold?"

   I know she is talking it me, yet I stay silent. I twine my hands together and rest my forehead on them. I grind my teeth. I haven't told Isabelle of my engagement. I'm surprised she doesn't already know, and when the time comes for me to tell her, I dread her reaction. I squeeze my eyes shut, my stomach churning at the thought. 

   "Ptolemus?" 

   I look up opening my eyes. She stares at me, question in her eyes. I ignore it, I ignore it all for now. I stand, whipping my hands on my pants. "I need to go. We need to go."

Belle Pov

   A crowd is forming. Lords and ladies huddle in a tight knit  circle, smiles on their faces, hunger in their eyes. They whisper to each other, as the sound of marching boots vibrats in my ears. I can feel it under my feet. I quickened my step, Titus and Quinton in tow.

   A dozen or so many soldiers stand in the center, their faces as always stern. The king and queen are there are well, watching with eager eyes, and angry snarls. A scream shatters through my body, and I feel one of my brothers take my arm, about to pull me away. I shake him off, as the crowd parts.

   Evangeline stands with the royals, looking as prideful as ever. My gut drops when Ptolemus emerges from the back of the crowd. He's not alone though, in his hand the hair screaming red servant. She's sweated and dirty, and clearly terrified.

   His face is worse then his sister's, and it stuns me. His eyes cold, darker, sinister even. He tosses the girl to the floor, and her face smashes into the marble. She coughs, spitting red blood on the dusty floor. I flinch for her, and I bite my lip. He has a bad temper. Kane told me, and I discarded the valuable information. I regret that now.

   His once soft and almost sheepish face, now filled with pride, rage. Are you cruel? My question comes back to me suddently and I know more about Ptolemus then I thought I would. "The rats crawl in the tunnels," he snarls using his foot to turn her over. Despite her condition, she cowers and scrambles away from him. "We found this one trailing us near the river holes," 

   The crown prince continues to speak but I don't really listen to any of it. I can't take my eyes of Ptolemus. He doesn't notice me yet, watching the scene unfold with hungry eyes. He is breathing heavily, yet I know its not from being tired. His chest is puffed, and his hands are in fists. I don't know if I like him this way, and I'm surprised I ever saw it. 

   When our eyes finally meet I offer a small smile. I hope he can't see my see my disapproval. I don't want him to feel bad, its not my place to correct him. I've only known him for a few months. He looks proud of himself. "Belle," Titus whispers to me. "Let's go,"  And I let him pull me away. 

Ptolemus  Pov

   I let her eyes haunt me all the way back home. The red girl had swallowed a suicide pill, leading our search to be nearly useless. Evangeline was proud nonetheless, she got to show off in front of the royals, and Elane was happy for her as well. Belle said nothing. If my schedule had not been so occupied already, and Belle had to choice to come see me, I'm certain she would have avoided me.