Chapter 5

Ptolemus Pov

My sister has a visitor before we leave our residence for the revealing of the prince's chossen brides. Although I already know who had won. Elane strolls into Eve's room, her red curls tied up out of her face, and black dress flowing slightly behind her. In all her dark clothes and pale skin she almost looks ghostly. Of course, that isn't the case. The light she bends with her ability, makes her look stunning and flawless.But  I am not fooled. And she is not here for me. 

   "Elane," I greet as I pass by her.

   "Ptolemus," she nods back .

   That's about all we say to each other if that. I can't imagine how the wedding is going to be. Although it is not set in stone yet, I know its happening.

   I leave them to be alone for a moment. I have no desire  to know what happens behind closed doors in here. I walk around, passing my cousins who all sit together in the sitting room talking among themselves. They are already ready and we wait for the time to come for us to leave. Elane won't be here too long, to my relief. 

   I make sure to knock on his door before I enter. "Come in," he says his voice low.

   I push open the door, and see Father. He is standing beside his bed. He is adjusting his robs, in the mirror. His bed already neatly made. "Morning Father," I say.

   He doesn't bother to say it back, "I would like to think everyone is ready, son."

   "Yes," I answer, "Elane stopped by to visit Eve," I tell him and he turns to look at me. He is my father, yet sometimes I feel the need to watch what I tell him. Children can be open with their parents, and Father is a great listener. But some things I hold back, not that it mattered that much, since he always found out anyway. Maybe Eve's and Elane's relationship is one of those things. Too late now. 

   "That Haven girl should be with her own family," he scolds although its not aimed at me.

   I don't know if I should agree with him or not, "Eve seems content with her," 

   "Yes," he starts, "But there is a time and a place for such things." he looks at me dead in the eye, and I almost see disapproval, almost. "It seems you'll be engaged to her soon, "

   I can't hold back my sigh, "Seems so,"

  "If that is the case, then you must find a women for yourself. Your sister has her's. I don't want you on my back when your thirty," One of the little times Father lets a crack of humor in his words, its foreign but I savor it.

    I smile, "Time will tell," I say. 

   He nods, "Go get your sister, we are leaving. And if that girl is still here, tell her to be on her way. Evangeline has got her own engagement to get to." 

Belle Pov

I'm shoved into a tight dress the next morning. A taffeta red one, that crushes my ribs and flares at the bottom, to trail slightly on the floor. A large bow in the back. My hair is pinned to perfection in a tight braided bun at the nape of my neck. Glistening diamond bracelet and earrings. My eyes lined with black and painted with a slight silver shimmer. I am stunning.

My brothers match me in their own unique ways. Mother doesn't disappoint either, with her backless, deep v-neck dark green dress complete with a gold shimmer. "Isabelle," she says her voice low, almost like a whisper, "go get your brothers for me, would you dear."

   "Of course," I tell her and I rise from the couch where I sat next to her, and make my way through the door that leads to my brother's rooms. My dress shuffles around my feet, as I walk. I don't bother knocking, as I push open the doors. I'm in no surprise when I find them all crowded in Kane's room, pushing over each other at the mirror. The only one not in the tangle, is Kane himself. He sits back, ankles crossed in front of him.

   "Mom wants you guys out now, we're leaving." I tell them. 

   They all stop to look at me, "Why aren't you the belle of the ball, Belle." Christian jokes.

   I shake my head, "You've got 3 minutes," I tell them before walking out. Kane follows after, grateful for the excuse to leave.

   "Animals they are," he says as we come to the sitting room. Mother is sipping at a steaming cup of tea, Father is there beside her, reading. "I don't see how sane people like us could have such relatives." he jokes, sending a soft smile down at me. 

  "They were your bother's first," I joke back. 

   "Isabelle," Father says a smile lighting his face,"Don't you look beautiful. No doubt your Mother choose your dress herself," Mother looks over at a Father and her returns it, something soft passing between them. 

   "Who else Father," I hear three pairs of feet behind.

   "Finally," Father says standing with smooth movements, "It's about time we go," he offers Mother his hand, and she takes it swiftly, standing beside him.