Chapter 28

Belle Pov

   Ptolemus was correct. He had gotten word from the Maven himself, he was chosen to go hunt down the red girl. He left a few days after out awkward sexual awakening, and we spent another night with each other, intimacy far from our minds. He had no clue when he'd be back, he didn't know if they'd be able to carry messages, letters, back to me. We both knew very little of what was to come. It bothered him, I could tell. Me, it only made me think of all the impossible possibilities. 

   Maven had taken control of the kingdom, and even I could see the ghost of his mother, whisper her way into his head. Controlling him like a puppet on strings. The following days are a drag at court, with little to do other then attend every other boring meeting, most of it centered around the red girl, Mare, and the traitor prince. Kane and Christian had been sent along with Ptolemus and it brought me more comfort then I thought that it would. 

   Its easy to say the young Maven was verging on obsession, and he did very little to hid it. It was easy to tell that both Maven and the queen cared very little of what the people thought about them, we just had to believe the words they spout. I made sure to keep my rightful distance from the queen and her abilities. 

   Days passed, and they seemed to drag on longer with every passing moment. Although I did have Titus and Quinton, they kept to themselves, finding entertainment without the need of their little sister. 

   Mother is no better. Better in personality but her body keeps her down. I cringe at the memory from a few nights ago, waking late into the night, to the muffled sound of my mother vomiting up her dinner and anything else she could. Made me wish Ptolmeus was here, so I had a shoulder to cry on. She was getting worse, I knew. The only thing that I wished to know was how long she had left. The guessing was torture. 

   Days turned into weeks, two to be clear when something actually interesting happened. I had settled in the sitting room on a cooling winter day, another book in my hands, one of the many I had time to complete. A knock on the residence stunned me. I listened to a servant open the door, then the muffled dark deep voice say something quick and to the point. Then the quiet click of the door, and heavy footsteps on the fine carpets. 

   "My Lady," a Security guard from the palace no doubt, greeted. He looked stiff and bored. "I have been given orders to escort you to the palace."

   I raise an eyebrow. I chuckle to myself, mostly in disbelief. "Who's orders?" I ask surprising myself with my tone. 

   "Princess Evangeline Samos." 

Evangeline Pov

   It surprises me to this day how calm Elane can seem. She gazes out the large window her eyes and thoughts far away. The afternoon sun surrounds her frame wonderfully, making her look angelic. A manipulation of light, but stunning nonetheless. 

   "She'll be here any moment," I tell her. 

   Elane turns to look at me, "Of course, my dear." She stands her black dress pooling around he legs, "Might I ask what the purpose of inviting her over? You don't even like her." She chuckles. 

   I shuffle through the small stack of letters beside me, the first I've heard from my brother since he left. I hold up the one for Isabelle, his silly little lover. It irritates me to see her's is also the thickest. "I believe its only polite I give this to her in person." 

   A knock at my door stops our conversation. Elane smiles at me and walks to the door that leads to my bedroom, closing the door behind her. 

   "Enter," I call and the door opens as soon as the word leaves my mouth and I'm surprised at what I see. Isabelle, smiling kindly up at the gurad I sent to fetch her, and him smiling as equally wide.

   "It was a pleasure speaking with you, sir." She says warmly.

   "The pleasure was all mine." He replies gesturing her inside. Belle steps in, her eyes meeting mine. The guard steps out, closing the door behind him.

   We stare at each other for a few stiff and awkward heartbeats, before I speak. "Made a new friend?"

   Belle nods, "So it seems."

   The fact that she was able to do that with ease, irks me. She's wearing a knee length simple red dress with small gold jewelry. Her hair tied back into a long curled ponytail. Unlike Elane she is no shadow, yet the light coming from the window hits her perfectly. Her gold hair tie sparkling in the sun. That annoys me further. 

   "I must say I was startled to hear that you summed me, Evangeline." She says looking around the room. "I would have naturally assumed you'd be overwhelmed with your royal princess duties."

   She sounds sincere. But I can't ignore the hint of amusement in her voice. She must be laughing at me. "I made time in my busy schedule," I tell her. "Becoming the future queen is such a daunting task. Not everyone can handle such pressure, especially now. I'm lucky to have been chosen." 

   I expect her to look jealous. Again the Nornus girl proves me wrong. Not even a flicker of jealousy crosses her eyes, nor does she tense, or scowl. Instead she chuckles quietly, stepping closer. 

   "I'm certain luck had very little to do with you winning the crown." She replies. 

   "Earning," I correct her.

   She smiles, "Earning, right." Her lips drop as does her eyes. Right to the letters under my arm. "Ptolemus?" she asks.

   "Yes," I answer feeling happy to have something she wants. "Got here this morning."

   She nods but her eyes never stray from the envelope. "I see."

   I hold her's up, "I'm surprised yours only arrived today." The white lie flows easily from my lips. "I got mine at least a week ago."

   Only then does her eyes move back to mine, wide and eager. She sucks in her bottom lip but nods. I hold out the letter for her and she takes it without second thought, the paper sliding through my fingers. I resist taking it back.

   "Thank you, Evangeline." She says already picking at the tab.

   I smile at her, "Anytime."