Chapter 6

Belle Pov

   I can see his silver hair from here. He again sits beside his Father, straight back and tense muscles. Always on alert, always ready to take action. His Father sits between him and his cold sister. My own family sits with me, Father on my right, Christian on my left. I can see all of the other Queenstrial girls, and like me and Samos they sit with their families. To me, as much as this may seem beautiful and wonderful and maybe an honor, I don't feel such things. I feel no desire to be handed off to a prince, or any man. 

   The royals smile, and stand together as a unit. But I see their flaws.  The Queen stands away from her husband, she does not like him. And I doubt he likes her. The crown prince, although he puts on a mighty good show, his eyes are almost sad, and anxious. The young prince, is not as good as hiding his emotions. Little, but there, sweat on his hairline, and hesitation in his eyes. He is nervous. Not that I blame him. 

   "The right of Queenstrial is always a joyous event, representing the future of our great kingdom and the bonds that keep us strongly united in the face of our enemies." The king stars his eyes scanning across the entire room never looking anyone in the eye, "But as you saw today, Queenstrail has brought forth more then just the future queen." 

   I raise an eyebrow and hold in a sigh. Back to the girl who feel during Queenstrial. "We all remember our bright hope against the darkness of war, our captain, our friend, the General Ethan Titanos."  Where is this headed? "He lead the Iron Legion to victory, pushing back lines of war that had stood for nearly a hundred years. The Lakelanders feared him; our soldiers loved him." 

   "Where is this going?" Chris whispers to me. I shake my head, no idea. 

   "Lakelander spies killed our beloved friend Ethan, sneaking across the lines to destroy our one hope for peace. His wife, the Lady Nora, a good and just women, died with him. On that fateful day sixteen years ago. House Titanos was lost. Friends were taken from us. Our blood was spilled."

   Yes. Lives were lost, and blood was spilled. The oblivion house of Titanos was lost. I still can't connect the dotes to why the king speaks of a house that has been gone for so many years, especially at such a traditional event. The queen answers my questions. "This morning we say a miracle. We watched a Red girl fall into the arena like a bolt of lighting, wielding power she should not have." 

   People mummer and a few stand. A red, with an ability, is impossible. "The king and I interviewed the girl extensively, trying to discover how she can to be. She isn't Red, but she is a miracle. My friends, please welcome back to us Lady Mareena Titanos, daughter of Ethan Titanos. Lost and now found." The queen looks up, her hand gesturing someone closer. I follow her gaze, along with the hundreds of others. 

    The girl, Mareena, descends down the stairs, her purple and silver gown catching the light. She is clean, she is pretty. Her eyes dart back and forth, in nerves. She looks uncomfortable, and I can tell she tries not to trip and fall over her gown. Practice I've had since I was little. No other silver would fear such a thing, but then again, she was just found. She sits in the front beside the Samos girl. I feel a pang of pity for her. 

   The king explains how she was raised and what saved her from her parents fate. Who really. My eyes oddly shift back to the silver haired man, and I still cannot remember his name. I tune out for the rest of the king's speech until, "announce the joining of House Calore and the resurrected House Titanos."

   I join the other girls in a gasp. Not that I really care, but because I'm truly surprised Mareena will be thrown into such dire circumstances so soon, with no preparation at all. The young prince steps forward, Maven. "Lady Mareena." 

   Around me the girls relax, the crown is not taken from them. Not yet, anyway. It is wrong and foolish to underestimate someone. Especially in a world, a life like this. "I pledge myself to you, Maven Calore. I accept. " her voice shakes, her shoulders are stiff, and her fingers twitch by her sides.

   I do listen as the crown prince stands. He smiles, and a few girls sigh. He is handsome, gold eyes, dark hair and all. "I am my father's heir, born to privilege and power and strength. You owe me your allegiance, just as I owe you my life. It is my duty to serve you and my kingdom as best as I can-and beyond. I need a queen who will sacrifice just as much as I will, to maintain order, justice, and balance." Everyone leans forward, eager to hear the name of his bride. I am not shocked, nor disappointed when he says, "Lady Evangeline." 

   Evangeline stands in all her cold hard metal. She turns around, instead to looking at her future husband, she turns to look at us. A cruel smirk on her face, her dark eyes as cold as the rest of her. She makes sure to look at all of us. I watch her, and notice her eyes linger on something for a second. Anyone would not have noticed, but in my life seconds are a lot of time.

    I am the last to get the look, and something pangs in my chest. I tilt my head to the side, and raise an eyebrow at her in my own slight jab. She turns back around, and I let myself the smallest of smirks. Curious, I lean forward very slightly, and see where her eyes had lingered. Chris takes my hand, and I sit back. 

   "In the eyes of my royal father and the noble court, I would ask for your hand in marriage. I pledge myself to you, Evangeline Samos. Will you accept?" 

   "I pledge myself to you, Prince Tiberias. I accept."