Chapter 12

Ptolemus Pov

   What if she doesn't get it in time? What if she never even got the letter? Stupid, of course she would have got it. That servant wouldn't have made it another day. I rub my sweated palms on my pants, even though the weather is starting to chill. The sky is shifting to a darker blue.

   "Samos?" I hear from around a bush. I stand from my seat, "Where are you?" I walk towards her voice, that light almost airy voice.

   I turn the corner and see her back is to me. "I'm here," I say and she turns around.

   She smiles, but it doesn't fully reach her eyes, "You sent a note," it sounds like a question but it really isn't.

   "I could think no other way to contact you," I tell her leading her back to my original spot. On a small marble bench in the center of a bush of roses.

   She sits pulling her hair over one shoulder, "I don't mind, in fact I think it's quite romantic."

   Romantic. Not exactly what I was going for. But the twinkle in Belle's hazel eyes are what I was aiming for. "To be honest I have no true reason to summon you." I admit not meeting her eye. I grip the bench, "I just wanted to see you,"

   Belle chuckles. My skin tingles as she rests her hand on my shoulder. Its warm small, hardly enough to grip my whole shoulder. "I don't mind. Not like there was anything going on at my place," her eyes drop along with her voice as sadness creeps in. "Nothing at all,"

   I wish I was good at comforting. I've only comforted Eve, and that was only once or twice. I try anyway, and I know Belle is special, "You want to talk about it,"

   It seems to work in an odd way that I didn't have in mind. She smirks looking back up at me, "Even the way you say it sounds off." she says. "But I appreciate your efforts."

   I offer a small smile. "You're welcome."

   She sits up straiter, "My brothers would like you, or at least I hope so. You and Kane have so much in common."

   I remember him from last night, "Like what?"

   She shrugs and leans against my arm. The action makes me tense and my nerves jump. Belle looks unaffected, not knowing what she is doing to me. "You both come off as intimidating, harsh, scary. But I see the soft spots in you. I see it in all my brothers. Yours is better hidden I will admit."

   Her words make me think of my sister. Soft spot. I would scoff if it wasn't Belle saying these things to me. "Is that so?" I ask looking down at her.

   She looks up at me. Her eyes are softer. I see something I haven't seen in a while. Innocence. I wonder if she has ever taken a life. I wonder if she could handle me in my, moments. "It is."

   I take in the moment. I suck it up. The wind does nothing to cool my burning skin, my breathing does nothing to slow my raging heart. I touch my lips to her's before I register it. A second later my mind catches up and I pull away.

   Her eyes are wide but not unsure and its all the conformation I need.  I kiss her again. Only this time its slower, softer. Her lips are warm, smooth. Wonderful. I cup her cheeks, my fingers brushing her silky locks.

   I see stars behind my eyes, I feel nothing beyond her touch. She is bold as she kisses me back angling her body towards me. I stiffen feel slightly awkward though. I haven't kissed a girl in a long time. Longer than I'd ever admit. And Belle seems to know excatly what she is doing.

   I pull away, taking my time to do so. Her eyes flutter open, before a blush creeps up on her face. I hate the cold air that comes between us as we pull away from each other. Belle bits her lower lip, as we sit in silence for a few heartbeats. I wait for mine to settle.

   "That was nice," she finally says.

   A laugh bursts out of me, "That was nice?"

   She blushes even harder, "I didn't know what else to say." she shrugs. "That was my first real kiss," she admits.

   I feel better knowing I had the honor to be her first kiss. "I couldn't tell," I tell her and she blushes even harder if that was possible. "Although," I drag trying to lighten the mood. "Practice wouldn't hurt,"

   She pushes my shoulder, "Shut up," she laughs. A cold wind makes her hair lift off her shoulders, and I can smell her shampoo, lavender. Belle scoots closer to me.

   We sit in a comfortable silence for a while, as we watch the skies surrender to the darkness. A handful of stares wink down at us. The moon is just starting to peak over the clouded.  Wind shakes the rose bushes and I reach over plucking a throned red rose.

   Belle watches me, "How romantic," she jokes as I hand her the flower. She takes it gently mindful of the thornes, her fingers brushing mine. The chaste touch excits me.

   Her eyes gaze over the rose almost studying it. Then they lift to mine, and nothing is beyond those magnificent cat eyes. They gleam in the star light. My heartbeat is rapid again and she licks her lips. "Thank you, Samos." she lifts the flower to her nose, inhaling the sweet scent.

   I take her hand standing up, and the words are sour on my tongue. "I think its time we head back." I tell her, and she stands too locking her arms in mine. She rests her head on my arm as we walk. "I don't want you to get into any trouble," I explain and she nods with understanding.

   "Of course," she sighs twisting the flower between her fingers. "I would want the same for you,"

   The walk back is also quiet with a few words placed her and there. The entire time, Belle twists the rose between her fingers never once touching a thorne or dropping it.

   When we make it back, she smells the rose again. "Too bad it won't last," she mumbles to herself.

   I nearly stop, "What?" I ask and she looks up at me.

   She leans on the wall by her door. She hold up the flower. Its perfect, no soft brown spots or missing petals. Even the thrones look specially placed. "The flower. Its sad it won't last too long, becuase," she touches the petal, "Its beautiful."

   I watch her watch the rose. I chuckle quietly shaking my head at her and stepping closer, "You're peculiar Belle,"

   She smiles hitting the flower softly on my nose. The fregrance hits me with gentle sweetness, "As are you. You're more of a softly then you come off as you know,"

   Softy. If only she knew. I smile anyway and she opens her door. Its quiet inside, and dim. Belle steps through her door, "See you around Samos," she says before closing the door.