Chapter 45

Isabelle Pov

I end up wearing the dress Larentia picked out the day before, so just to irritate her. I pair it with nude strappy heels, with large glistening crystals on the strap across my toes.

Kess, my male red servant, pins my hair into a messy bun with crystal pins. Roe, my female red servant, paints my lips in nude and simple makeup. Covering my forming eye bags and brightening my face due to my lack of sunlight.

They work silently, efficiently. Never lingering. No mistakes. Roe goes for a gold eyeshadow.

"No," I sigh quietly. I wave it away. "No need."

I look down at my freshly painted nails as Roe collects the makeup. I close my eyes, breathing deeply. I knew this day was coming, and Ptolemus and I aren't exactly on best terms at the moment, but it feels as if I'm losing more of him.

"You look nice," A deep soft voice says causing Kess' hands to still in my hair.

I look up to see him standing before me, dressed in his wedding attire and leaning in the doorway. His hands are stiff at his side. His flicks a shy smile at me, before catching himself and looking at Kess.

"Leave us," he commands.

Kess bows his head and scurries out. I watch him go, heading into the antechamber to wait with Roe for their next orders.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him. "You should be getting prepared for your wedding."

He gestures to himself. "Prepared."

The attire fits him well, sticking to his  proud house colors. His velvet coat tailored to highlight all his strength and build handsomely. His hair is slicked back from his face, highlighting the strength of his jaw.

"I was under the impression you weren't attending," he says after a moment.

I scoff turning back to the mirror, "Your mother made sure I got the memo that I was."

His eyebrows furrow and he stands up straight, "My mother was here?"

I nod, "Yes. She's..." I trail off casting a glance at him. I stop myself before I can insult his mother.

Ptolemus smirks and walks closer to me. "Yea, she is," he laughs dryly.

"It's okay," I tell him, "It's fine."

"You shouldn't have to go if you don't want to," he says but his words mean nothing and we both know it.

We stare at each other in a long silence. I press my lips together and stand up. He is due at the alter any moment I'm sure. And what needs to consire between him and his new bride...its easier if I'm far away.

"Perhaps it is best that we stay away from each other for a while."

His head snaps up, "What!"

"Because-," I try to explain.

He stomps to me, until he stands over me, "Belle!" He takes my face gently in his hands, contradicting his threatening stance. "Why would you say that?"

I place my hand over his. They're warm and familiar. "It will be easier this way," I tell him although my heart breaks, "You and Elane will be married and you and I both know what is to be expected of you."

His eyes flare, "We have years to even think about that."

I shake my head, "No, no, you really don't. Your parents must have brought it up sometime, probably not directly."