Chapter 51

Ptolemus Pov

  Her laugh echoes throughout my memories and the room as we laze together in my chambers, the late afternoon casting it's rich rays over us. The balcony winds are flown open, letting the breeze rustle across the room, caressing bits of our hair. Music whispers somewhere from the speaker she thought she has hidden from me, playing flowing string songs on after the other. We sit across from each other in a large plump armchair, Isabelle's legs resting over the opposite arm, where I lean. Her back facing the setting sun, creating a gentle halo around her body, highlighting her beauty. Dazzling her smile.

Isabelle's pearl smile flashes at me as she marvels at the silver flakes floating harmlessly around her spinning long fingers. Slowly each one lands on her skin, some catching the sun to wink at me. They stick to her like a glove, motivated by my ability. She watches fascinated, as I watch her, enriched by her presence.

I watch as the corners of her mouth lifts once more as the last of the silver lands on her skin, covering from wrist to fingertips. A piece of golden hair falls over her shoulder as she tilts her head to the side. She blinks slowly, as she twists her hands in the air, watching as the silver catches the light flashing in her emerald eyes. Her eyes flicker up to me, holding promises, her smile brightening, speaking love, stealing the air from my chest.

I blink at my reflection in the foggy bathroom mirror as I fade back into reality. It's suffocatingly humid, my body warm from my shower, water from my freshly washed hair slipping down my spine. My knuckles begin to ache on the cold marble of the counter I lean on as I notice the growing grey bags under my eyes in the mirror. Diminished and fading without her.

I turn away from my reflection and walk out the bathroom, watching as the cold tile turns to carpet beneath my feet. I picture her smile from the memory, seems so long ago. It warms me a little in the chest, knowing I'm making some progress with her. I lift my head from my gaze on the floor, and that warm feeling chills and freezes. Panic sweeps through me.

"Ptolemus," Wren greets from her perched spot on the edge of my bed. "I was hoping to talk to you."

"What are you doing?" I ask craning my head to see the entrance in the sitting area. The last thing I could possibly need right now is anyone coming in and finding us like this. "You can't be here."

Her smile drops slightly on her face, "I just wanted to talk about that night."

I scowl. "There is nothing to talk about."

She scoffs, standing. "Nothing? There is plenty."

Panic sweeps over me. Anyone could walk in right now. "No, there isn't. It was all a mistake, okay."

Her face falls. "What?"

"I wasn't thinking clearly." I reach for my drawers pulling out a clean linen shirt, feeling suddenly exposed in my towel. "I wasn't even seeing properly." My mind flashes back to when I was sure it was Isabelle who came to my room that night.

"Ptolemus listen-," she starts stepping closer.

"No!" I explode and she steps back flinching. I don't have the heart to be gentle right now. Belle matters more to me. "There is nothing between us Wren. You need to leave, now."

I turn my back to her as she goes silent. I hear her huff, "You're still choosing her?"

I round on her, stunned. "I will always choose Isabelle." I gesture to the door, "Now leave. Don't come back." Turning back around I pull out some black pants as I hear her quick retreating footsteps and the slam of the door. Sighing, I continue to get dressed.