Chapter 60

Belle POV

I watch from my spot on the grass as Carmadon tends to his flowers in his own personal garden. The already bright summer blossoms seem to glow under his care. I watch as he runs his hand over a meticulously placed yellow rose and as its petals brighten and open. 

I look down at Darcy as he whines a little in my arms, his eyes closed and lips wet and slightly parted with sleep. I kiss his forehead and rock a little bit, shushing him softly. He stirs but does not awaken. I've got him swaddled in blue baby blankets with white clouds, his tiny soft head  covered with a matching cap to protect him from the mountain's chill. I lock this moment into memory, the  feeling of peace. 

"Your garden is beautiful, Carm,"  I tell him as soft breeze blows past me. I pull Darcy's blankets up further. 

"Thank you very much," he says walking closer. The sun reflects off his head, casting a shadow over me and Darcy and the grass only seems to get greener. "I must admit your presence has something to do with this," he gestures around him. 

"I'm not the greenwarden," I say pointedly. 

"No," he sighs, "But your presence brings me joy and my joy creates this. With all that is going on Dan must be away for long periods of time. Gets lonely around here sometimes." 

"It must be hard then," I say as he settles beside me although on a bench. "Seeing your loved one marching off to battle all the time. I recall watching his father," I spare a glance at Darcy, "go off to battle. I remember telling myself not to think about all the things that could go wrong. I told myself that he would always come back to me." 

Carmadon is silent for a moment but nods. He tips his head towards Darcy. "It doesn't get any easier," he says. 

"No, it doesn't." But I suppose that's a good thing. That dread let's me know that Ptolemus still has his place in my heart. 

"So," he starts. He tips his head towards Darcy, "technically your son is a prince." 

"Yes," I say and any other mother would beam at that. But my heart only feels sad. I've seen what royalty, what a crown has done to people. What limits it has. If not for that damned crown my people like to prance around and fight over, me and Ptolemus could have been married. We could have had a lot of things. "I suppose so."

"You don't seem excited about it." 

"Me and his father aren't married. And there are so many other obstacles, so I'm not even sure if Darcy really has any claim to anything. I'm not even sure they'll accept him, give him their name."

"You love him?" Carmadon asks. 

I gasp. "Of course I love Darcy he-," 

"His father, I mean," Carmadon interjects with an amused chuckle. 

"Oh," I blink. I look down at Darcy still in his slumber. "Well yes I do. I mean, we've been through some turmoil." And that is putting it lightly. "I mean he has been so stressed lately with the formation of the Rift and the pressures of his new role but we love each other. Besides how can I hate a man who has even me so much." I make a point to pull Darcy closer. "And he'll be so happy about our son's birth. I'm sure of it." 

Carmadon smiles. "The age difference you pay no mind to." 

"It's never bothered either of us before. I mean, my mother always said I was a forty year old in a teens body." I laugh although I feel a pinch of sadness at the thought of my mother. And then a boulder of guilt when I realize how long its been since I've thought about my own family. 

"And his wife?" 

I shrug. "She pays us little mind. She has her own lover in place." 

"Odd. From what Dan told me they seem close. Truly fond of each other."