Chapter 71

Isabelle Pov

"And this one," Mr. White gestures to the third house we've stopped by. "Was build 50 years ago. Older than the rest, yes, but still in great condition. This house has two bedrooms and a bathroom. Small kitchen and living room, and washer and dryer. Also, a decent sized fenced backyard. It's basically a smaller version of the one we just looked at. About a 30 minute walk from Ken's and Mo's, while also a 45 minute walk to the restaurant. But you're a swift so," he shrugs. "I'm sure that means little to nothing to you."

"And you would be right," I reply.

He smiles at me while unscrewing the to his cup container, "Plenty of room for you and your son." He adds, looking at Darcy who sleeps in his stroller. "And most definitely in your price range."

I nod, writing it down in the small booklet I brought a long with me, "Okay."

"Wanna go inside?"

I nod, "Please."

I angle Darcy's stroller to roll up the narrow thin pathway. Overgrown weeds and plants line the path, although nothing Carmadon can't handle, if I asked him. The porch is darkened with dead leaves, although nothing a broom couldn't handle and it could not hurt to have a of fresh coat of light blue paint. To my right a wide bay window, that would let in plenty of natural light. Keys dangle in Mr. White's hand as he quickly plugs the correct one into the white door, pushing it open. Hinges could use some grease.

By the looks of it, we step directly into the sitting room, smaller than what I've ever had, but otherwise doable. It's carpeted and leads directly into the wood floor kitchen. The kitchen has cabinets placed above the stove and sink, the dark counter curving like a boxy U. On the back wall of the house, next to the fridge, another door, which I can only assume leads to the backyard.

"Follow me," Mr. White says as we walks into the home. "Like I said small." He leads me past the empty sitting area, stopping where the carpet and wood meet. To my left, a hallway, which he leads me down. "Bedrooms are here," he points to the two first doors positioned across from each other. "Main bed on the left. The small one, the nursery, on the right." He walks a down a few more steps. "Next to the small bedroom is a small storage closet, and further down is the washing machine and dryer. The door next to the main bed leads to the bathroom."

I push open the main bedroom door, noting the wide clear window on the far wall, "This house gets plenty of natural light, huh?" Already, I can envision the bed I would push up against the left wall and the dresser I could put against the right. The clothes I would fill my closet with and the color of the curtains I would hang.

He hums in confirmation, "Plenty."

I nod an excited smile forming on my face as I continue to move around the house. Its perfect for me and Darcy. I can almost close my eyes and see the life that we could have in these walls. The hours I could spend in the kitchen perfecting the recipes that I learned from Carmadon. The days I could spend with Darcy in the garden, watching him run and grow. The hours long conversations that I could engage in on the front porch with Mora and Ken. The walks that I could take to their house, to the lake.

"So," Mr. White smiles kindly at me. "What do you think?"

I turn to him, "I love it. It's perfect."

"I had a feeling you would. Its the perfect place for you and your son to start your lives."

I nod, "Yes it is. So when can I move in?"

"Whenever you are ready really. I have all the paperwork ready for you, you give me the first month's rent, and I'd say you'll be moving in in no time."