Chapter 59

Belle POV

The pill goes does easier this time than the last as Carmadon places a plate in front of me. My stomach growls at the sight of the sausage and toast and side of porridge. The pill does not have time to leave an aftertaste as I immediately pick up a sausage and consume it.

"I didn't have enough time to sit before you start," he jokes with his usual light and kind voice. "Can you believe that Dan?"

The premier chuckles picking up his glass of steaming hot coffee. "A girl has to eat," he says with a kind glance my way.

"My baby takes up all my energy," I say the words rolling off my tongue with a sugary sweetness. My baby. My Darcy. "I need all I can get."

"Another day in the hospital am I right?" Carmadon asks as he slices his ham.

"Of course," I say smiling at my own predictability. "The nurses say he should be ready to move out in a few days, hopefully."

"Just in time to accompany me back to the Rift." Dan adds and I notice Carmadon hang his head a little.

"Yes," I answer. "Perfect timing."

Dan hums in content before he places his hand over his husband's knowing his thoughts. Carmadon smiles slightly and twists so they lock fingers. I swoon at the action of unfiltered love. It is something out of a cheesy story and I love it. I smile at the gesture behind my cup of orange juice.

I've been accompanying Carmadon and his Dan to every meal at the formers insistence for two weeks now. The first few days I sat there awkwardly, feeling out of place. But soon I found myself looking forward to the sit downs. Smiling and talking more than I have in weeks.

Watching Dasarious, who've I've nicknamed Darcy, grow stronger thanks to the Premier's kindness is something I will never forget. A privilege I know I've stuck luck with. It still astounds me however. This red man. This powerful ruler, showing such openness with the likes of me. A young silver girl, the lover of the son of his untrustworthy ally. A man who would more likely see the premier under his boot than as a powerful ally.

I like it here in Monfort. The clean air. The simplicity of life. The great food and hospitality. I look down at myself. I'm still in my pajamas.

But I need to go back. Ptolemus. We have a son together. He deserves to know that. He lost too much time with him already. He is a father now, he needs to be with his son. With me. I can't help but think of his reaction. He will be happy, I know he will. I see his face as I step out of the craft, carrying our squirming child. Babbling and healthy. Will he cry and fall to his knees and pledge his loyalty and love. I don't know. Maybe that is a stretch. But I still hope. I still dream.

His parents are another matter. I don't know how they will react. I don't know if I will be going back to insults and shame. In their eyes, will my son be their heir or a bastard trying to claim their proud name. Will they even let me stay. I can't see them kicking me and their own grandson out. But, I should be prepared for anything.

"You know, Ms. Belle. You are welcome to stay as long as you need." The premier states making sure to meet my eye. "I can have a craft bring you to the Rift even after I have gone. Truly it's not trouble."

Guilt curls on my stomach. "I couldn't," I say dipping my head. "I feel I've already overstayed my welcome."

"Nonsense," Carmadon waves.

"No," I say with a sad smile, "I need to get Darcy back. We need to go back."

Disappointment twinkles in Carmadon's eye but he yields to my wishes. "In case you change your mind," he gestures to himself and the premier. "Say the word."