Chapter 44

Isabelle Pov

   I can't recognize my own tears from the water spray on my face anymore. Both stain my dress and I know my hair is horribly wind blown. But I can't bring to care about such things at the moment. My stomach rolls all the way to Ridge house, as Ptolemus had put it. I can't do much more than stare at my own fingers the entire way there. I was too emotionally exhausted to feel angry at the moment, and my tears caused a pulsing  headache at the base of my temples.

It doesn't fade, even as one of the servants escort me to my room once we reach Ridge house. She is quiet as she opens the door and leaves. I'm alone. Again.

Large suitcases sit in the corner of the room. I gasp when I notice my house colors. How long has this been a plan? How long have I really had no choice. They're empty.

My stomach lurches violently and bile rises in my throat. I'm in the bathroom in the blink of an eye, heaving into the toilet. What little food I've eaten comes up, and more tears gather in my eyes as my throat burns.

Soon, I'm left dry heaving. Sick. It has to be due to all my emotional turmoil. It has to. Sitting back against the tub, I try to collect myself. My headache is worse, but the darkness of the room is soothing.

Eventually I pull myself off the floor, flushing the toilet and rinsing my mouth out. I stumble back into the bedroom. I collapse into the cold silk, letting it lure me to sleep.

The bed sinks beneath me...a touch of a familiar hand...a fleeting voice.

I awaken when the sky is bright. I already recognize the wrongness of where I am. My mouth is dry and there is a deep pit in my stomach. I blink, and shift so to turn over. I startle at my confines. I raise a stiff limb to touch my neck. My pearls. I'm still in my dress.

But I'm tucked into the covers and my boots lay across the room. Slowly, I sit up brushing my ruined tangled locks from my face.

Someone knocks at the door.

"Come in," I grumble and the door creaks open hesitantly. I brace myself,  fearing it's Ptolemus. But a maid steps forward her eyes dropped to the carpets.

"Breakfast my lady," she says and a cart full off food follows her in, pushed by another servant, male. The tempting smell makes my mouth water and my stomach growl. I eyeball the buttered toasts and fresh berries. The steaming plate of bacon and sausage.

"I didn't call for breakfast," I tell her but I climb out of bed anyway.

"His Highness has demanded it be brought to you, my lady."

My fingers freeze as I reach for a large raspberry. "His Highness?"

She nods. "Yes my lady."

She must be mistaken. She has to be. Tiberius can't be here? "What else did he say?"

"Only that we assist you in any way you desire through the day."

His Highness has given me my own personal maids.

I look up to the male servant. He recognizes I'm looking at him but keeps his head down. "Prepare a bath," I tell him gently, "Make sure it's hot."

He bows his head and scurries past me. I take the plates off the cart and carry them to the small table in my antechamber by the window before my maid can. She follows with a steaming cup of tea and kettle.

The table is perched perfectly so the sun doesn't blast me as I gaze out the window. I stare at out. Out. I want out.

Longing clutches my heart. I didn't get to say goodbye. Silent tears run down my already stained cheeks as I chew. My food is suddenly unappealing and tasteless. I didnt get to say goodbye.