Chapter 25

Belle Pov

"You look beautiful." My mother says smiling at me through the mirror. Dark shadows are under her eyes, and she looks delicate sitting in the over stuffed chair, holding a steaming cup of tea.

"Thank you," I answer adjusting my lace sleeves.

An young red girl, perhaps slightly older then me, pins my hair up into a complex bun on the top of my head. She works quickly and silently, as she curls the few last pieces of my hair. I stare at myself in the mirror, in the black dress my mother picked out herself. My eyes look wider with the applied mascara and eyeliner, complete with a silver blue shimmer. I touch my lips, the sides of my mouth curving, as I remind myself they are painted with dark perfection.

"Don't do that Isabelle." Mother scolds. "You'll ruin your makeup." She turns her attention to the maid. "That will be all. Thank you. Please, give us the room."

The girl peels away from me, collecting her materials and leaving. Once she is gone, Mother stands placing her cup on the tiny table next to her. In her own black garments, she moves to stand beside me. She sighs in content, pushing my hair back, even through there are no lose strands.

"That boy of yours will drop dead when he sees you." She jokes.

I chuckle, "I bet if you were to ask him what he thinks every time he sees me, he'll give you a similar answer."

"That's good," she starts, "at least he knows he's got a jewel on his hands."

I blush, "Thanks Mom,"

She smiles to herself and adjusts my dress shoulder. I look beautiful for something so terribly ugly. An execution. The crown prince himself and Lady Marenna. We have not killed one of our own since I was a young girl. And the crown prince of all people. I close my eyes for a brief moment, the turmoil of last night coming back to me in a rush.

I woke with a jolt. Ptolemus' arms were wrapped tightly around me, his head buried in my hair, his chest pressed in my back. A boom ricocheted through the silence of the room. Ptolemus stirred, his grip getting tighter. I could hardly close my eyes once more when the earth shook with ferocity. I gasped as harsh light tore through the window, and I flinched away. Ptolemus jerked and I felt his body tense, fully awake now. He moved with surprising speed and grabbed a handgun from the nightstand and clicking off the safety. I hadn't even known it was there.

His eyes sharp and dark as he looked at me, reminding me of the night of the ball. "You okay?" he grumbled his voice harsh.

I nodded as I watched him bolt from the under the covers, his closet door opening simultaneously and pieces of metal shooting out to cover his body. In only a few moments, he sparkled in the dark with threatening armor. "Samos?" I questioned rubbing my eyes with one hand and pulling the covers around me with the other.

He looked at me his gaze softening for a moment. "Stay here," he commanded. He leaned down placing a chaste kiss on my head before turning around throwing the door open, and closing it with a wall shaking slam.

I sat in the dark staring at the door for a few long minutes. My mind raced with all the possibilities that could happen, all the cringe worthy variables. I push back the covers, and move slowly over to the window. I'm shocked at what I see. Far away from immediate danger, but I see it. Flames and smoke lick at the star scattered sky. Alarms scream, and security, sentinels, and soldiers rush back and forth trying to tame the chaos. I grind my teeth as I continue to watch.

"Daydreaming is a bad habit." Mother says her voice bringing me back. She hooks her arm in mine and leads me out to the living room with my family, getting ready for a death day.

Ptoleumus Pov

Evangeline's fingers twitch by her sides as we stare ahead, waiting for the metal doors to open. I stand with her on my right, and Stralian, Elane's brother on my left. I can hear the crowd's roar. They shriek for the sight of blood. I grind my teeth, as a mix of nerves and excitement curl in my gut.

I can hear Maven speak now, his voice proud and regal as if he's always been this way. The sound of his voice makes my blood boil and my hands fist at the thought of how I got here in the first place.

Maven stands before us, a horrible smirk on his lips, his eyes blue and cold. His mother hovers behind him, her face mirroring his. I notice Arven standing close, in the shadow, quiet as he has always been. Eve stands beside me, every muscle in her body tense. A son of House Rhambos, Haven, and Lord Osanos stand with us.

"You five have been chosen for a honorable position." Maven starts his eyes flowing over all of our faces. "I could not think of any other worthy warriors." He smiles while his mother boosts quietly. "You five will participate in the execution of my brother Tiberous the Seventh and the red rat," he spits, "Mare Barrow. They, together, has committed a most heinous treason against my kingdom, against you all. By completing this task, you are protecting our beloved country, and your families. We are ridding our homes of a great threat."

His mother folds her hands in front of her. "And before any of you have any thoughts about declining this position, I remind you of your loved ones back home. Your children," She makes a point to look at Lord Osanos.

A fleeting memory of Belle crosses my mind for a moment, her smile giving me the strength I need right now. I hate myself for letting her name cross my mind. I know my brain is at the queen's mercy right now, and so will Belle if she peeks into my head.

"Your sisters and brothers." She looks at Haven and Rhambos. Her gaze ticks to mine, and I feel a sliver a fear strike through my heart. "Or golden haired lovers." She finishes making it point to stare be down and smile without moving her lips. "We can always place them in the Brawl of Bones instead." I feel my jaw clench and my temper rise. I want to lash out, but instead I turn my head away.

"Do you all accept?" Maven asks though the choice has been made for us.

"We accept." We all echo together.

The door opens. The crowds cheer reaches me at full force, filling me with anticipation. Eve's hand squeezes my arm for a haste urge of encouragement.

We all step forward into the light, into the battle field. You may never step out, a voice in the back of my mind reminds me. I push it away as we walk onto the sand.

I spot the prince and red girl immediately. They aren't hard to miss. The girl looks dirty and ragged, a scarlet flush over her face. The prince looks pale but determined. Flame licks at his arms, as the red girl steps behind him.

Maven's voice thunders out over the arena, "Let them die."