9

TAEHYUNG

My fingers flash angrily.

You said there was two!

Jimin peers over the corner again, looking at the four guards that are chatting to each other in front of the only entrance. He turns back with a mischievous half-smile.

Sorry. I don't know what those other two dimwits are doing over there.

Go distract them. I'll slip in.

I can't, He signs back. One of the guards is the Captain Guard. He's going to know that I'm up to something— he'll never leave the post even if I tell him there's a fire at the King's Chambers.

Usually I'd think more calmly for a solution.

But the image of Rinei's sorrowful face fills my mind, and I can't find myself thinking of anything else. I had to get that flower.

But how? Even if Jimin and I could knock all of them unconscious, there was too high of a chance that one of them would recognize us.

And the Captain Guard was a good fighter. He was also loyal to my father, and would report me the moment he woke up.

Jimin gives me short glances. I know he's waiting for me to come up with something, but right now my mind is too blank.

Then his eyes flash in wild surprise over my shoulder.

I whip around, after his widened eyes.

An elf stands there, ice-blue eyes fixed on the two of us with a steady, calm gaze.

Lady Arlen.

How is she...?

Jimin and I both tense. But she just looks at us quietly, before shifting her gaze to the talking guards. Then she signs, her fingers swift.

Do you need distraction, Your Highness?

And I can't help my expression tightening in distrust. Half of me expected her to walk right up to the guards and turn the both of us in.

She tilts her head, a smile flickering on her lips.

You do not trust me. But my Prince, you don't seem to have a lot of options in hand if you want those flowers.

I sign stiffly. When had she realized?

Aren't you loyal to my father? Help me here, and you go against him.

Her blue eyes seem to glow.

I am loyal to those who benefit me. So will you accept my help?

Under what, Lady Arlen?

Her smile widens.

One favor. I won't name it right here, but you must promise me a favor in the future. That you will help me, just like I've helped you.

A favor?

My lips purse.

Very well.