30

JUNGKOOK

Is he not done?

I watch, annoyance written all over my face. That idiot named Limu or Liseo had been dancing with her for the last five— no, six pieces. And anyone with eyes could see that she didn't want anything to do with him.

Sighing, I pick at my plate of sweets.

I was a little angry at Arlen, too. I'd tried to take her away on the second dance, but she'd just given me a small shake of her head and had continued to dance with the silver-haired elf.

Why was I even h—

"Hello."

Finally.

I turn towards the feminine voice. "Arle—"

It's not Arlen. My eyes widen at the elf who'd taken the seat next to me, with slightly darker blonde hair than Arlen's and her eyes vivid hazel.

I instantly freeze.

"Were you expecting someone else?" She asks sweetly, her eyes flickering side to side. "I'm not intruding on anything, am I?"

You...kind of are.

"I'm sorry." I say, slowly sliding towards the edge of my seat. "Yeah— yeah, I was waiting for someone and..."

"May I ask who?"

Her hazel eyes glitter. "Because you've been sitting here for a while by yourself, my lord."

"I'm not—"

I stop myself. Would it seem suspicious if I said I wasn't one of these lords? Would she guess otherwise?

I just knew I needed to get out of this situation as fast as possible.

I quickly fix my veil more firmly over my ears under her intense gaze. The mask over her eyes barely makes things any better.

She places a hand on the edge of the table, her tone slightly more impatient.

"May I request a dance?"

"I'm sorry." I repeat. "I don't think so."

She raises a brow. And I hurry to stand, shuffling up to my feet and adjusting my mask again. Her gaze gave me the chills— were all elves like this?

Did they all stare at people like they were looking right into their souls?

"Sorry." I say one last time. And I'm about to leave when she pulls me back, lips pursed in a line. Her hand is wrapped around my wrist in a tight grip.

She tilts her head at my stunned gaze.

"I usually am not rejected like this."

"Then I suggest you grow accustomed to it."

Arlen.

Her slender, snowy hand grasps the top of the elf's hand around my wrist. Then she peels her grip off my skin, her feline eyes narrowed and arctic behind her crystal blue mask.