39

TAEHYUNG

"Jimin."

The sharp tang of poison fills the air. And Jimin is motionless on the ground, a dark, long arrow deep in his shoulder. I stumble to his side, feeling as if I might just lose my sanity.

That arrow. Dark signet, silver feathers.

My brother's. It was unmistakable.

Completely disoriented, my eyes flicker around the Forest.

Rinei. There is no sign of her.

He'd taken her already.

My hands tremble as I kneel down next to Jimin. I can't even hear his pulse through the blood roaring in my ears, and the thick smell of the poison clouding my senses.

My brother always had poison on the tips of his arrows. I had to take Jimin to the City now— if I wanted any chance at saving him. I could already see the violet streaks spreading through his pale skin.

But fear freezes me still.

By that time, what would have my brother done?

What was he doing to her in this moment I was here?

"Your Highness."

I whip around.

Arlen.

"Go." She says, her blonde hair rippling in the wind. Her blue eyes glitter steadily, as she looks down at Jimin on the ground. Her voice is so calm, so different from mine.

"Go after the girl. I will get him the antidote."

She meets my surprised gaze, tilting her head to the side.

"Hurry, Prince."

"It may not be too late to save her still."

_______________________________

RINEI

He doesn't take me to the City, like I'd expected him to. Instead he rides the stallion deeper into the Forest, away from the direction of Elven.

I don't know where he's taking me.

"Stop struggling."

His arms tighten around my waist. I'm sitting in the front of the saddle, with him behind me. I don't make too much of a move for now.

There wasn't anything I'd be able to do on top of a horse like this.

And I needed to be able to kill him with my own hands. I'd glimpsed the knife hung to the hem of the saddle a long time ago— and had slipped it between the wraps of my cloak before he'd realized anything.

I needed him distracted first.

Where are you taking me?

I hear the grin smile in his voice.

"Where do you think I'm bringing you?"

Anger seizes my body. Don't play games with me.

"No, I'm genuinely curious, dear. Where do you think I'm bringing you?"

I stay silent.

He laughs, a chilling sound that makes me shiver.

"We're here now."

All of a sudden, the Forest opens to pale, blue skies. The thick trees disappear, and I gape when I realize we're at the edge of a cliffside. The dirt and leaves on the ground have turned to gray rock.