50

JUNGKOOK

There's something wrong.

I can see it in my sister's face. I'd been with Rinei long enough to know— too long. All my brotherly instincts are telling me that something is wrong.

But why?

I'd thought the problem with Taehyung had resolved with finding the lake. That taking away his magic would cure him of his soulless persona.

But Rinei looks even worse than before. She looks deep in thought every single day, and that's only for the rare times I see her. She doesn't come to meals and I can barely get a chance to talk to her.

It had gotten so bad that Taehyung himself had gone to check on her earlier today, canceling everything he had for work.

But now it's night, and I hadn't heard anything.

"Jungkook."

I twist around to see Arlen. She tips her head curiously in my direction, her pale blonde hair alight by the glow of the full moon. She's dressed into her nightdress.

"What are you doing out here?"

"...thinking." I mumble. "Thinking a lot."

She comes next to me, placing her slender hands against the smooth stone railing of the balcony. Her eyes sweep across the city of Elven laid out below before fixing on my face.

"About what, angel?"

I hesitate. I didn't even know what to say.

But she knows.

"You're worried about your sister."

I glance at her in surprise. Her gaze has drifted back to the City, blue eyes like the clearest pools.

"I noticed she hasn't been looking well." Arlen murmurs, her hand brushing against mine. Her fingers slip into a firm grasp.

"You're wondering why."

"I just don't understand." I say quietly, sighing heavily. "And I don't even understand the entire part of it. She told me that his soulless side comes out during night— I heard that. But how does that even work? Like..."

"Like that."

...huh?

I follow her knifelike gaze, towards the balcony close to ours.

It's Rinei. And the broad shadow in front of her is clearly Taehyung. But something seems off about him— the way he holds himself, the way he's so close to her.

It's so dark that I can barely see, but even I can tell the aura coming off of him is more dangerous than the safe warmth of a lover.

It's him.

Arlen's eyes narrow. She could see better than I could, her vision cutting through the shroud of night.

"He's taking her. Against her will."

"He's what? Where is he taking her?"

"We'll find out. Come on."

My eyes widen when she motions for me to come closer, one of her slender arms spread to the side. Her eyes are still fixed on the shadowy silhouettes up there.

And my mind runs wild.

"C-Come on?! What do you mean come on?"

"It means what it means. Don't you want your sister to be safe?" She says sharply, her voice turning more urgent. "Jungkook, just hush and come here. They will leave soon, and the King is ridiculously fast. We're going to lose them."