60

RINEI

"Keep your hood lower. You don't want to make a scene, do you?"

And I'm about to instinctively reach up to adjust the hood of his cloak deeper over his face when I hesitate. Then I quickly draw my hand back, hoping he didn't notice my awkward motion.

I had to stop forgetting to keep some distance.

"Come on. If you daze off for even a second, you're going to get lost." I say, a little loudly to try and cover up my embarrassment. "We're going to get some cake first, okay?"

He blinks, slowly.

"Fine."

The entire way there, he seems distracted. I don't blame him— he'd probably never seen anything like this before.

And when I notice one of the vendors offering samples, I hurry to take the chance.

"Come on!"

I wave him over, my eyes fixed on small squares of golden sarieh, filled with a tangy orange paste. The elf who's selling them gives me a small smile.

"Two, please." I say, flashing a smile back at her under my hood.

V is standing behind me. And I hand him one of the squares, already done chewing on mine. It's so soft, and the flavor of the orange is light but delicious.

He shakes his head.

"You can have it."

I frown. "No. Eat it. That's not what this is for, remember?"

"I'm not hungry."

"Yeah, right. You probably haven't eaten anything for the entire day because you were literally just sitting there doing nothing."

I stare at him.

But he's hesitating, still. And I'm about to purse my lips when I hear the seller laugh behind me.

"It's just a small sweet. Don't leave your wife hanging, hm?"

...wife?

"I—he's just a friend." I say quickly, while furrowing my brows in confusion. I mean— technically I was married to Taehyung, but this wasn't Taehyung. This was V, even though he's in Tae's body...

Never mind.

I can feel V's eyes on me as I shake my head with an awkward smile.

But the motherly look on the older elf's face doesn't change, and I flush as I continue on my brisk walk down the streets filled with vendors, left and right.

I risk a glance behind, whipping my head back forward when I meet eyes with V.

This is so embarrassing.

But ever since Arlen had put that thought in my head— that V actually loved me, it was just so awkward. It kept me from treating him comfortably, because what if he took it as a sign?

My eyes scrunch.

Just buy the stuff you need and go.

It's not a big deal.

________________________________

Hm.

Maybe Jungkook would like this.

I hold up the watch, swinging it side to side. Then I show it to V, who raises a skeptical brow at my find.

"Are you serious?"