37

RINEI

Tae.

How...?

"You lied to me." He murmurs. For the first time, his voice is darker—colder. He has never used this tone on me before.

His eyes flicker up.

"I can't let you leave, Rinei."

Won't...let me leave?

He tilts his head when I tighten my grip on the silver curve of the bow, raising it in front of me. Hurt crosses his expression when he sees mine harden.

"You're going to fight me?"

Please let me leave, Tae.

His eyes shadow.

"You don't understand, love."

And in a second, he's on me. He sweeps me off my feet, and I tumble down helplessly on the grass, my back crashing against the ground with him on top of me. All the breath in my chest is completely knocked out.

I stutter out a gasp, eyes wide.

He'd come so fast.

Had the sugar not taken effect on him? How had he...

My eyes flutter in panic as I sign.

Tae, please—

"You don't understand!" He roars, silencing me in less than a second. His hands wrapped around my shoulders are trembling wildly.

"Why, Rinei?"

"Why are you trying to get yourself killed? Why are you trying to go back, when we've risked both our lives to get out in the first place?"

His dark locks hang over his eyes as he grips the neckline of his shirt. Then he pulls the material harshly to the side, showing the scars and faded bruises that run past his neck, down his shoulder and upper arm.

I let out a shaky breath.

"He will do worse than this if he gets his hands on you." He whispers. "You don't know him like I do. He's my father."

"He will make you wish that you've never been born. Why can't you just stop this? Why can't you just let it go?"

His eyes glaze with tears.

"Just let it go, Rinei. Just let it all go."

"I'll do anything."

And I lie there, my eyes turned up to the skies as I hear him cry. His entire body shakes with it, and a part of me just wants to listen to him. Make him happy.

My eyes squeeze together.

But now it's too late.

And then I feel him jerk, like someone had struck him.

His rough breaths cut off with a sharp gasp. And his beautiful eyes are terribly vulnerable as he looks up at me, his hand clasped over his chest. His skin is deathly pale, with a light sheen of sweat.

The sugar is taking effect.

"Rinei...?"

I'm sorry.

He shivers, his lips tinged with a slight blue. And I rush to wrap my arms around him when he collapses to the side, his body too weak to hold himself up. His eyes are wide with realization.