24

RINEI

What did Jimin mean? His magic?

But the moment I try and ask him, my body shivers. It's an instinctive tremble— like a jolt of electricity, down my entire figure. My head instantly shifts towards the doorway.

Something's wrong.

"My lady?" Jimin whispers in confusion, when I hurry off the bed. My heart is suddenly beating so fast, the sound of it hollow against my ears.

Something—

Tae.

I echo the voice in my head. But he's quiet still— unresponsive.

Something isn't right.

You said you know where he is, I sign, so quickly the signs become all messy and ruined. Could you take me there? Now?

He purses his lips. "Lady Rinei. I—"

I know it's dangerous. I know it might not work. I've started to pace the room, unable to keep still. But is it possible? Please, Jimin.

Please.

He breathes softly.

"If I distract the guards. Maybe. We can try. But is something wrong? You—"

Something's definitely wrong.

Yes. I don't know— no, yes, it is. I—

I don't know what I'm signing. The look in his eyes turn more serious when he notices me struggling, my expression wild. I don't know what to do with myself.

I have to go to him. That's all I know.

"Let me know then, later." He says, cutting me off from my useless signing. "Follow me. And put on the cloak, please."

He leaves the room. I soon follow, pulling the hood of the cloak deep over my head. I'm so anxious, about something I can't even put my finger on.

Jimin leads me down, deeper into the Palace.

The air gets colder.

Silent here, He signs, eyes serene as he pushes open a door. Guards listen. And there are many hidden, around every corner.

I nod, and hush my footsteps.

The hallways of the dungeon are something out of nightmares. I can barely see five feet in front of me, and the space is so cramped and narrow that it feels as if I might go insane.

And I would've, if it wasn't for Jimin leading me on. My hand is clasped around the back of his shirt.

He stops after a few minutes of walking.

I see his signs in the dim, hazy light.

The Prince is in the room right around this corner. Guards are stationed, to his left and right. When I distract them, you'll have to find your way in.

I nod.

I will go first.

He shifts around the corner. And I soon hear alarmed voices of other elves, and Jimin's voice among the midst of it. He's pretending to be someone else, with the darkness and the guard mask he's wearing.

I edge closer.

The door is right there.

"I swear the High Guard placed me right here." Jimin says, imitating another voice so perfectly I nearly mix him up with all the others. "I told you. I'm a fresh guard just up from the Southside. Orders from the High Guard."