42

RINEI

Jimin.

I move towards the door, almost hypnotized as I see him lying there. His usually pale face is even paler, his golden hair covering his closed eyes.

The Healer is bent over his shoulder, brows furrowed together.

I swallow thickly.

And I'm about to enter when Taehyung pulls me back. His watchful eyes are fixed on me with a steady gaze.

"I'll be out here."

"Y-You're not coming in?"

Then I realize why. My eyes widen when I see a group of guard elves coming down the Palace hallway, headed straight for us. Their bows are drawn.

I grip his sleeve.

"I thought— didn't you say that no one would try and kill us if we came back to the City?"

"They're not here for that."

His gaze flattens as he watches them come closer. "Go in first. I'll join you once I'm done with them, Rinei."

"I'll make sure you aren't interrupted."

I nod uncertainly. But my eyes linger on his back as he walks a few steps forward, stopping them in their tracks. He and the captain guard starts talking in a low voice.

What were they talking about?

I grip the doorknob.

I'd ask him later.

The Healer looks up when I come in. And I see that Jungkook's asleep in one of the farthest beds, his head rested on Arlen's lap. Arlen gives me a slight smile.

"Hello, Rinei."

"I am glad you are alive."

"Thank you so much for helping him." I murmur, looking back at Jimin. "Really. He would've died without you."

Her eyes widen slightly.

"You can speak?"

I smile and nod.

"How?"

"Things...happened. A lot of things, actually. While Taehyung was fighting his brother." I whisper, clasping my hands together. "I don't know how exactly—"

"Who are you?"

The Healer.

I turn to him in surprise.

He's an old elf— the oldest I've seen. His hair is long and snow white, almost reaching his waist. His intelligent blue eyes are alarmed, but I can instantly tell he's kind.

"She is the lover of the Second Prince." Arlen answers, her voice quiet in the back. A light flush reddens my cheeks.

The Healer's eyes widen.

"Prince Taehyung? His lover is a human?"

He turns to me with an almost urgent look in his eyes. "Is the Prince alive? I must know. Is he the one who brought you here?"

I nod.

"My goodness." He says. "Then that must mean the Crown Prince is dead. He was out to kill him the last time I'd seen it, after Lord Elven's death."

"He'll be in here soon." I say, pointing to the door. "He's outside talking with some guards right now. I'm not exactly sure why, but—"

"They are there to tell him that he is the only one left to ascend the throne."