12

TAEHYUNG

I'd gotten hit harder than I expected.

My fingers come away red as I touch the line of my dark brown hair. While my magic controlled the mind, Jaerim's dealt with the body. And his magic was powerful.

Every step I take is weaker and dizzier than the last.

"Your Highness!"

A hand suddenly wraps around my shoulder, pulling back. And I instinctively reach for the knife against my thigh, the handle cold between my fingertips.

I blink, trying to clear my blurring vision.

Who...?

"Taehyung! It's Jimin."

The knife slips from my fingers. And I recognize Jimin's blonde locks the same time I hear his shocked voice, his eyes wide in my direction.

"What in the—what happened?"

He grips my arm, wrapping it around his neck. My body sways heavily into his. I can feel the heat of the blood trickle down my back— and when I speak, my voice is barely audible.

"He...used magic."

There's a sharp breath.

"What?"

"Father was there." I say faintly. "I don't know why. He was watching, and Jaerim didn't want to show him his weakness. He used magic on me."

I can feel him shifting my hair to the side. The strands are all matted with blood, the blood turning the shade of my hair even darker.

He curses.

"It's bad. How hard did he hit you? He's absolutely out of his mind— using his magic. It could've killed you. It could've killed him."

I don't have the strength to nod. But then I remember something, a blurred image passing through my thoughts.

"I need to go."

He jerks me back when I turn towards the Forest.

"Excuse me? What? You're not going anywhere except for your room."

"I need to go to her."

Jimin makes a stunned noise. "Like this? You're hurt, Taehyung. You won't even make it half the way there."

It doesn't matter. I needed to see her. All I can think about is her through my cloudy mind, and I don't even know why. I just want to see Rinei, so badly it hurts. I want to touch her heart-shaped face and bask in her glowing smile.

Then I remember. I remember why.

"I have to tell her I didn't mean to leave her."

"She'll understand!" Jimin hisses, still gripping my shoulders. "I can't let you go. I won't. Not when you're like this, are you serious?"