41

TAEHYUNG

She is a flower, in the darkest night.

I'm back in my father's dungeons. The chains hold me upright— the cold silver around my neck, my arms and legs. It wraps around my entire body, covering me.

Why am I back here?

Back here, when I'd tried so hard to escape.

Had I been caught?

I can't move a single fingertip. The darkness surrounds me, a heavy veil thick over my suspended body. I don't know if I'm breathing. I cannot tell.

The chains hurt me.

Let me die.

I cannot remember why I am still alive. Why hadn't I killed myself a long time ago? I should've slit my own throat the moment I'd known Father would throw me back in here again.

Why had I...

Then through the haze, I see the darkness ripple in front of me. Like a drop of rain, in a pool of the calmest waters.

I'm sorry.

My eyes widen. The words seem to come out of nowhere, echoing against the walls of the room.

That voice.

I knew— I knew that voice.

I twist against the chains. It makes the ugliest noise as the links grind against each other— the sound of metal splitting and turning.

The voice comes again.

I didn't listen to you. Why didn't I listen to you? If I had, maybe things wouldn't be like this.

I really am an idiot, Taehyung.

I really am.

And the darkness clears, like the brightest dawn.

The chains fall from my body. It hits the floor and disintegrates, into dust. But I stand there, my thoughts filling with the visage of a girl. The memories of her pour into my mind, coming so fast I almost struggle to take it all in.

I remember.

I remember the reason why I'm still alive.

________________________________

RINEI

My head hurts.

Everything feels thick and muddled. Like I'm waking up from a long sleep— like I'd done nothing but sleep for years. Like I was finally finding the surface after a long time being stuck underwater.

The sunlight is warm.

My eyes flicker. There's a silhouette over me, a contrast of darkness with the soft gold of the sun. It takes a few seconds for my eyes to focus.

Something soft runs over my cheeks.

"I'll have to tie you down,"

"If you try and leave me again. Do you understand?"

My eyes burst wide open.

"Taehyung!"

My voice flows out of me. His name— it comes so easily out of my throat, leaving my lips and echoing in the air. My mouth clamps shut in surprise, and I look up at him completely stunned.