35

RINEI

That night, I dream of my parents.

I dream of the night that they were killed. My father, who had worked his entire life to provide for our family. And my mother, who had taken care of Jungkook and I for all our lives.

Even when I'd been determined to be mute and worthless, both of them had shielded me from the whispers of the other villagers.

I'd always promised myself to repay them. That when I grew older and more capable, I would be the one to support them. That I'd make them live peacefully and comfortably, without worrying about work and food like they'd always done.

But now the silhouettes of their bodies haunt my mind.

"Rinei."

"Rinei!"

I jerk awake. And my eyes are wet as they land on Taehyung, hanging over me like a protective shadow. He draws in a shallow breath as he presses his thumbs against my cheeks.

"You're...crying. Did you have a nightmare?" He whispers, voice softer. He kisses me tenderly on my forehead.

"Don't cry."

Tae.

My fingers tighten around his wrist. His eyes flicker back to my face, then to my hands. He waits for me to sign.

I swallow.

I want to go back to Elven.

His face pales.

"...what?"

I want to go back to Elven, I repeat.

And I'm going to kill your Father.

He clasps my hands. I see the corners of his eyes soften as he pulls me to his chest, his touch almost desperate. I can feel it, in the way he holds me.

"Rinei, no. I understand why you would want to, love. I understand. But I..."

His usually deep, steady voice is trembling.

"I don't want to lose you."

And I catch the way his fingertips twitch closer to the marks on his neck. The imprints of the chains, and the scars under his shirt. He'd be reminded every day of what he'd gone through because of his father.

I breathe.

I'd been selfish, saying something like that so easily.

I'm sorry.

"Don't be." He murmurs.

He starts kissing me. My hands slip under his shirt, and I run my fingers over the heat of his body as he lowers me down on the bed, his hands pinning my shoulders to the sheets.

And a part of me just wants to let it go.

To just let everything go, and just focus on the gorgeous creature on top of me. His love is so deep and passionate, something I could so easily lose myself in.

But I can't.

Another part of me can't help but feel restless.

Darkness slowly burns in the back of my heart.

_______________________________