27

RINEI

Jimin...

He laughs quietly when I walk out of the bathroom, uncertainty written all over my features.

"You are gorgeous, my lady."

Arlen follows me out of the bathroom. She'd helped me dress, and I feel her fix the pins around my head into place. The short, dark veil hides my ears.

Then she sets a silver butterfly mask over my dark eyes.

"There. You are now an Elven Lady."

Jungkook breathes out in frustration. He keeps touching his own mask. There's a similar veil over his ears, like mine.

"Why do we need to wear this again? It feels uncomfortable!"

"Because it is a masquerade and you'll need it when you dance with me." Arlen says, her blue eyes glowing under her sapphire mask. A smile tints her rosy lips.

"You will keep away my suitors for me, no?"

Jungkook murmurs something under his breath when she grazes his cheek.

I touch the silken fabric of the gown. Arlen had lent me one of hers— a beautiful black dress that cinches at my waist and spans out wider towards my legs. She'd tested out a few heels on me before she'd determined that I'd never be able to walk a single step in any of them.

Jimin interrupts. "Are we ready? The Gala will begin in just a couple minutes."

He offers me his arm. And I link mine through his, my mind full of only Taehyung. I'd see him soon.

I wondered if he was okay. My heart pounds, just from thinking how he would be in my arms in less than an hour. I want to kiss him, feel his lips back on mine.

I love him.

I'd always had.

And tonight, I'd steal him away from everything that could ever hurt him again.

_________________________________

Jimin whispers to me just before we enter.

"I have hidden Sterling by the fourth balcony. Take the Prince there later. I will meet you near the borderline of the Forest soon after."

I nod.

The door opens. And the scale of the entire Gala blinds me, for a split second. The room by its own is massive— ivy chandeliers dripping jewels on the ceiling and lit with a soft silver. Hundreds of masked nobles are already here.

My eyes instantly look towards the center end of the room, searching desperately for the elf I'd come for.

And I see him, standing next to the throne where Lord Elven is.

Tae.

His mask is black and gold. A silver circlet marks him royalty, and I stare at him as seconds tick by in my mind.

His dark hair is pulled back from his face. His brows are furrowed, but I can see the way his eyes stay unfocused over the entire crowd. He's tired— much more exhausted than he's letting on.

Then Jimin curses next to me.

"His neck." He whispers angrily.

Then I notice. There's a thick, circular mark around the tan skin of his neck. It's so distinct that I can see it all the way from here.