13

RINEI

I can barely sleep.

It's the middle of the night when I wake back up, after dozing off for a little. Every time I'd fall asleep, I'd just wake up again with Tae's stricken eyes burned into my mind.

He'd looked terrified. Terrified of what? Of me?

My fingers twist the sheets of my bed. I had so many questions. But he'd left so fast, and I couldn't go find him before he came to see me first.

This entire day I'd been completely out of it.

Forcing my eyes back shut, I press my face into the pillow. If I'm quiet enough, I can hear the trees outside, their leaves swaying and dancing in the night wind.

Tap.

I blink.

What was that?

And I'm staring blankly into the dark of my room when I hear it again.

Tap.

It's a soft sound, against my window.

I jerk out of the bed. Then I rush towards the glass window, only in my nightdress and completely barefoot. My hair is messy and bedridden.

My fingers frantically tug at the curtains.

The moonlight reflects a tall, lean figure, standing outside. His hand is raised for another tap when I pull the curtains open.

Tae.

Tae, I mouth to myself when I see his face. The moment I realize it's him, I run out of the room and out to the back. Everyone is asleep.

My feet touches cool grass as I close the distance between us in a heartbeat. Then he spreads his arms open, and I don't even think about it as I tuck my body into his.

There's a dazed, sweet laughter.

"Hi, love."

You have a lot to explain, I sign, an arm still wrapped around his waist as I pull back to look up at him. Do you know how—

Then my eyes widen.

He's hurt.

I instantly reach up to touch the side of his head. There's blood between the dark locks, as if he'd gotten hit with something hard. It looks painful.

You're hurt.

"It looks worse than it is." He whispers, his fingertip grazing my jawline. His arms tighten around my shoulders when I glance at him in disbelief.

"Truly, Rinei. You need not worry."

Is he...okay?

Why is he talking like that? And he looks a little unfocused, his expression all disoriented. He's also wincing every couple of seconds, as if his head's hurting him.

So I pull him towards the porch.

I sit down, crossing my legs in front of me. Then i wave at my lap, eyes serious. He looked like he might collapse any second.

A tipsy smile tugs his lips.

"You're awfully bold today."

Just lie. Down.

He laughs at my rapid, stiff signs. Then he lowers himself heavily, his eyes roaming around my face as he rests his head on my lap. I'm brushing back his long hair when he suddenly reaches up to caress my cheek.