26

RINEI

Something's on top of my neck.

I try to make a sound. But I can't, and I'm confused because I can't hear anything. My small hands are pushing weakly against I the thing on top of my neck, and I can feel rough bark.

There's also something wet— hot and sticky against my fingers.

Blood?

I don't know.

The scream grows weaker on my tongue. I must've gone deaf, because I can't hear myself at all. Spots of darkness crowd my vision.

What happened?

I'd just been playing— playing by myself in the forest with the flowers. I'd been making a necklace with the petals.

The darkness steepens.

Am I falling asleep? Is that what's happening?

My hands turn slack by my sides. I was a little bit sleepy, I had to admit. Maybe a tiny nap wouldn't be so bad.

After that, I'd go back home. Jungkook had been pestering mother to teach him how to make her cherry pie for days now, and had finally gotten her to bake with him.

I'm just about to drift off when rapid footsteps against the leaves jerk me back awake.

I blink dazedly.

It's a boy. A boy, about my age. There's a bow slung over his back, and he's struggling with the thing on top of my neck. He's breathing so hard, it's all I can hear.

I blink again, taking in his features.

He's a pretty boy.

What is he doing, though?

He yells. The sound of his shout echoes deep throughout the forest, and my eyes widen when the heavy thing on top of me disappears. A staggered breath runs through my dry lips.

It's hard to breathe.

I touch my neck, wondering if it's okay.

My fingers touch more of that hot, sticky stuff.

Then the boy drops next to my side. He gets down on his knees, and I can see tears glistening in the corners of his eyes. He's murmuring something over and over again.

My brows furrow.

He's saying sorry.

...why?

He grips my hand. The tears rolling down his cheeks sparkle like diamonds, and I can't help but think what a pretty boy he is as I squeeze back softly.

"It's okay."

It's my voice. It still works.

But something's wrong.

My brows furrow tighter.

"Hey." I test, looking up at his stricken eyes. "Thank you...for..."

Each word turns quieter.

...helping me.

The last two words only echo in my mind.

Huh?

The boy makes a painful cry. He presses my hand to his forehead, and I can feel his small body shake with the cries that follow after.