19

RINEI

I shift up from my bed, feeling confused as I stare up at the morning sunlight.

I hadn't dreamt. I hadn't connected with Taehyung last night.

Why?

Fear and anxiety bleed through my thoughts. Was he okay? Had something happened last night?

What if...

My hands clench to fists. Tears prick at my eyes, stinging painfully in the corners of my lashes.

He can't be.

I leave the room, to smell the house full of a delicious scent. And I'm surprised to see Mother, humming to herself as she stirs a pot of soup. My eyes widen when I see Father hanging over her, pointing out the yummy parts he wanted her to give him a taste.

Father? Mother?

"Rinei!" Then her bright voice snaps me out of my thoughts, and I look up at her faintly.

Her voice is so lively.

"Come here and have a spoonful." She says, beckoning me to the kitchen and pushing her nagging husband away. Father still looks weak, but he's more vibrant than he's ever been for the last few months.

It's...just like before.

Good, I sign with a thumbs-up when she gives me n expectant stare. A soft smile tugs my lips.

Really good.

"Pretty tasty, huh?" She says proudly, fixing a glare at Father when he tries to take the spoon from her.

"Back off. I've already given you more than twenty spoonfuls— leave some for the kids, my goodness' sakes. They've done so much for us."

Maybe I am still dreaming.

It had been so long since I'd felt this— since I'd seen my parents out of their room, so happy and playful. So healthy.

"Go wake your brother up. It's nearly noon and he's still sleeping, that boy."

Jungkook was still asleep?

I nod my head. Then I turn to Jungkook's room, wiping at my eyes quickly. My fingertips come off wet with tears.

Everything was going to fine.

Father was up and laughing. Mother was back to being the center of our family. And I would save Tae soon, get him away from the terrible things he's going through.

I click open Jungkook's door, seeing my brother deep into sleep with the blankets coiled around him like a caterpillar.

Yes.

Everything was going to be fine.

______________________________

TAEHYUNG

My arms are numb. It's been too long, since I've last been able to feel them.

But when I hear the door swing open, my eyes turn upwards. It's my father, by himself. I savor the faint glimmer of light that shines through the door before it closes back shut, thrusting everything into darkness.

Would he...Had he come here to finally set me free?

I feel him stop in front of me.

"Taehyung."