53

RINEI

People.

It feels like forever since I'd last seen them.

The First Spring Celebration was held at the marketplace every year. It was something Jungkook and I'd always went to— every year. For all the colorful lights and the sweets that we could eat.

This year is no exception.

My wide eyes reflect the bright gleam of red and orange lights, strung across the booths in layers of string. Even though it's past midnight, so many people are still here. They fill up every corner, all the way down the straight main path through the entire marketplace.

It's been so long.

I feel him watching me.

"We need to get you something." I say, unclasping my cloak and putting it around his shoulders instead.

When he tries to take it off, I stop him.

"Stop that. Do you realize just how much attention you're going to draw if you roam around with your face out like that?"

Annoyance crosses his face.

"That's not my problem."

"It's going to be both our problems if you don't listen to me." I say, fixing the hood over his head and ignoring his narrowed gaze. "And I want to enjoy this too, okay?"

Even with the cloak, he already stood out too much. His tall, slender figure sticks out like a sore thumb in the crowd.

He makes a low sound.

When I finally make sure he's going to keep the cloak on, I rush ahead from the excitement. I'm calling over my shoulder, voice raised.

"We're going to first go get some sweet rice cakes, alright? You have no idea how good those—"

I have a bad feeling.

And when I turn around, I only confirm it.

Taehyung's already in a standoff with some guy.

A lump forms in my throat when I see the man yelling, waving his hands straight at Taehyung's face. And Taehyung stares at him, his entire body still. He towers over the man by at least four inches, and he almost looks like the reaper under that hood.

The moment I see his right arm tense, I leap for him.

"Whoa, whoa. What's going on here?" I say, forcing out a laugh the same time I grab both his hands and wrap his arms around my neck. Then I tilt my head, with a cute, innocent smile.

"Is there a problem here?"

On the inside I'm trying not to panic.

I have no idea what he would've done to this man if I hadn't seen him in time.

The man steps back, scowling. He crosses his arms in front of himself, jerking his head up towards the elf I was going to give a proper telling-off after this.

"This your man?"

"If he is," He spits to the side. "Get a different one, miss. Accidentally bumped into him and completely cursed me out. Said I was some disgusting, useless human that deserved to die."

My mouth drops open.

Never mind.

I was going to kill him after this.