23

RINEI

I gasp.

And all I can do is stay frozen on the bed, hearing a pair of fists pounding away on the other side of the door. My fingertips are clutching the hem of the blankets.

My entire body's shaking.

Someone knows.

Did something happen to Jimin?

Then I press down another stunned gasp when a low, familiar voice echoes through my head. It's so clear, that I know I'm not dreaming.

Don't open that door. It'll be alright.

Tae.

I can't reply. When I try to, my throat stays muted as always— and I nod frantically, trying to calm my rapid breaths as I stare at the shut door. For a moment I'd thought it would give way.

But it doesn't.

The pounding gradually grows quiet.

I wait. And I'm about to slowly shift off the bed when I hear his voice again. It echoes, a firm warning in my head.

Stay still, love. Whoever it is hasn't gone. They listen for you.

I freeze up again, a chill wracking my entire figure.

Listening for me?

He's right. Soon after, I hear the barest footsteps as it echoes away from the door, and a string of soft, hushed curses. The breath I'd been holding spills out of me in quick puffs.

Good. Good, Rinei.

He can talk to me. And I try to speak to him, through my mind. But I find that I can't, and hurry to put my hands out in front of me and sign.

My signs are rushed.

Where are you? Where are you, Tae?

There's a quiet sigh.

Please don't try and find me, love. He replies back, voice soft and gentle. I'll be fine. It's already too dangerous for you to be here.

My eyes widen.

But I'd seen the chains— felt them. How could he tell me that he was truly okay?

Because I knew he wasn't. He wasn't at all.

My finger signs a soft liar.

He laughs. It sounds so weak and delicate, and my chest squeezes with pain when I hear it. He sounds so weak.

I would be lying if I said I'm feeling comfortable here. But I will survive. You will not if you get caught trying to find me.

His voice suddenly sharpens.

And without you, you already know that I am nothing.

He's right. My hands slowly fall by my sides, expression turning cloudy. What help would I be to him if I just went out there blindly, trying to find where he was? I'd just get caught and killed.

But someone already suspected that I was here. Somehow. Why else would they have knocked so hard on the door to the Prince's room itself?

My eyes keep flickering anxiously back and forth.

What do I do, Tae? Will you stay with me?

I can almost see his soft smile.

Yes, I will.