Xiao x Reader ◇

Every time I shut my eyes, all I could see were terrifying faces and images.
Nothing like my family and friends dying or seeing Liyue fall apart; but just... faces. It was difficult to explain.

Since I was home alone, I obviously did not know who to talk to. Tears were streaming down my face because I was so horrified of what I was seeing.

I held my knees close to my chest on the end of my bed, not knowing what to do. I did not want to stay up all night, I felt so sick because I'd been crying for a while.

But then I remembered.

'If you ever need my help, call my name. I'll be there.'

Xiao was one of my closest friends, though I barely saw him. He had saved me from monsters a couple of times and helped me out, so I could not think of anything else than calling him.

I sniffled and tried to steady my voice.
"H-Hey... Xiao? Are you there?" I whispered quietly. Before I knew it, Xiao was in my room. Though it was dark, I could sense he seemed annoyed.

"I do not sense any demons here. You have clearly wasted my time." He stared at me coldly through his mask.

"I'm sorry, I... I didn't know what to do." As I finished my sentence, the tears started coming back to me again.

Xiao's glare softened and he sat down next to me.
"...What's the matter, then?" He sounded stern, but was actually really worried.

"I'm... scared." I shut my eyes and wiped them with my wrists. Xiao didn't know what to do, however he placed a hand on my shoulder trying to be reassuring.

"Of what? Has something hurt you?" He leaned his polearm against the wall and glanced back at me.

"No... whenever I close my eyes, I see something really scary, and I... I just..." I could not even begin to explain it.

Xiao sighed and took off his mask.

"You should sleep. I'll chase away your nightmares." Xiao rested his back against one of my pillows as I lay down.

"But... I thought you sensed no demons? Why would you waste time here...?" I got under the covers and gazed at Xiao. He was already looking at me.

"I could not leave you here feeling scared. I have little intention of getting close to mortals, but I am not cruel."

I smiled at his answer and lay my head on his shoulder. This caught him off guard.

"Tch... go to sleep.." I shut my eyes and slowly drifted off to sleep like he said.
Xiao had a soft smile painted on his face.

We both thought that after I fell asleep happier than before, I'd have no night terrors and I'd be okay - but we were wrong.

- Xiao's POV -

For half of the night, Y/N was quietly clinging on to me, fast asleep. I thought I would be able to leave her be till morning; that was until her breathing got heavier and she started tossing and turning.

"Y/N?" I held her still, but she still had some look of discomfort on her face.

That's when I decided to get rid of her nightmare all together.

- My POV -

The nightmare was absolutely petrifying me - until it just... stopped.
My eyes suddenly opened and I looked at my surroundings in confusion.

"Are you okay?" I turned to Xiao.

"My nightmare just... stopped."

"Yes. I chased them away for you."

Realization hit me as I let out a relieved sigh.

"Oh, thank you..." I lay back down with a sigh, shutting my eyes again.

"Y/N?" Xiao tapped my shoulder lightly. I opened my eyes and gazed at him.

"Mhm?"

"I know I said I did not want to get close with mortals, but... if I were to ask something selfish, would you agree?" Xiao put his fingertips on my cheek, gazing into my eyes. My face flushed.

"What is it?"

"...I would like to have your first kiss, if I may..." Xiao leaned in closer to me.

"I- I mean okay, but... huh? Why...?" I tried not to break eye contact with Xiao, but his glare can be so intimidating.

"Because... I think... I'm in love with you. I stayed here to keep you safe, because I am in love. Do you... return these feelings?" Xiao's cheeks heated up as he tried to confess.

I smiled.
Xiao had kept me safe for so long. He'd been there for me, done things for me, spend time with me... I loved him. A lot.

"I do. I always have, and I always will." I leaned in and pressed my lips against Xiao's.
His kisses were long, but soft and romantic.

Xiao put his right hand lightly on the back of my head and leaned over me slightly, making it seem he started the kiss.

"You need to sleep, it's early in the morning. I value your health as well."

I laughed and nodded.

"Goodnight, Xiao."