Chapter 35: Mind Games.

---------------------------------------------

Happy new year, everyone. Another year, another variant. Let's hope for an easy year.

As always, here is the next chapter and I hope you enjoy.

As a new year's resolution, I am hoping that I upload a new chapter at least once a week. Sunday at the latest. This will be the first chapter of the new year. Thanks for sticking with me, readers, all this time.

---------------------------------------------

The silent 10-minute flight of shame back to the cart and horse went by just as quickly as it did slowly. David didn't say anything nor did I as I placed him back down on the grass next to his stuff.

Thankfully though, that flight had allowed me to calm down and properly think. My mind went through various made-up scenarios and other thoughts, one of them being what to do with David now that he knew a secret only my family and my dragonoids knew: that I could change my physical appearance...

Oh? Wait a second...

That's right... my "human" form was just what I imagined when I altered my physical form using Priest's soul as a base... If I wanted to, I could make myself look like a guy, but I'd basically be a reverse trap... I even have Yuri's soul too... and I'd probably still be forced to have my obvious wings and tail.

With all this on my mind after placing David down, I turned away from him and started to snap with my right hand as I organized my thoughts; a habit I've had since my previous life.

I glanced at David.

David Rothschill, a man I've only known for about a little less than a day, is worth no more than that of any other human I've known in this life. I wouldn't care if they died or not.

But compared to them, he is yet still above them in the pecking order of people I care about. The sentiments I have towards this guy is how I put effort into healing him to turn his life around, but now that he also knows about a secret of mine, I am a little inclined to kill him.

Killing him would just mean that I have ended his life and any care for him stops there, but that would mean that this "identity" as "Isis" ends there. I would be criminally wanted throughout the Empire as a person who murdered a Royal Inquisitor most likely since the emperor knew for a fact that the Inquisitor was last with me and such a strong individual is now dead.

"What are you thinking so hard about? Care to share?"

While I was thinking David asked this as he went about packing up camp.

"I'm contemplating whether or not I should kill you."

"If you want, go ahead."

Though I honestly spoke what I was thinking, David passed it off without any worry nor care. He just fed the horse some food by hand, brushed it, and threw his supplied back into the cart, not once glancing at me as if asking me to go through with my words.

"Suicidal bastard..."

Muttering, I just went ahead and hopped inside the cart, David lightly chuckling at my words. If he was set on letting me kill him without resistance, then that would mean I'd have no reason to worry about him leaking what he knew about me.

Ideally, that is. I'm not certain. It's not like me to gamble, but I guess it doesn't hurt to throw the dice once in a while. That's what keeps life a little interesting.

With a sudden shake, the cart started to move. David had ordered the horse to start moving with a crack of the reins.

Now that we were moving, it further ascertained that I wouldn't think of killing him. He is placing a lot of trust in me for a reason I'm unsure of and is showing his back to me in case I ever decided to change my mind- wanting to go through with it. A suicidal bastard indeed.