Chapter 41: What Do You Believe In?

----------------------------------------------------

Here is the next chapter, I hope you enjoy.

Also, this chapter is very short. It's only 2,200 words long, so i'm sorry. This chapter is basically a long tangent to answer something a reader commented in the previous chapter. It still continues the plot, don't worry, but i'm just warning you.

"There is much to be skeptical of in this world, so it no longer surprises me to learn how many people don't really believe in anything." -Joshua Graham.

----------------------------------------------------

My head blanked as I stopped in my tracks.

"[You did not just say...]" I said with disbelief in my voice, stopping mid sentence as my mind further blanked trying to process a thought and speech. A grunt escaped my mouth.

"['Mother...' did you?]"

Siegfried's head lowered to the ground. The small boy's eyes darted around as if he too realized what he said was a little extreme. Eventually, while still under the glare I was giving him, he raised his head.

"[Yes, I did.]"

And with a confidence I wouldn't have expected, confirmed it. His usual stutters seemed to have disappeared. Siegfried sat on his hindquarters like a dog, 

"[I'm sure you remember from my story, but God himself said that whoever was qualified to free me would take me under their wing and protect me.]" Siegfried gave his reasonings, but I honestly didn't remember that part. I was distracted by that uncomfortable feeling I had, that is still present now, so I didn't pay full attention. It was clear that he HAD told me, but you know...

"[So, it is only right that you follow the divine commandments made by God and enact upon the promised covenant.]"

This guy. 

"[I am not, and I will not, be your mother you doofus!]"

I was the same age as this motherfucker! You want me to be your mom? Cut the shit. He is trying to make it seem like being his mother was like Thomas Jefferson buying all of the Louisiana territory for 3 cents an acre! A deal to good to pass up!

"[I don't give a rat's ass what the person you believe as God has said I do.]" 

Siegfried, from what I remembered of his story, seemed to have come from either a different time period, timeline, or a different world from my previous one. He had the personality of a pre-Columbus Era farmer who didn't understand the reason as to how the world worked. He simply prayed, tended to his simple field, and lived a harsh, simple life, and was a casualty of a war started by those who ruled him.

Such a man is easily influenced by that very world he doesn't understand. What, because some strange old man said something like "If lightning strikes during this rainshower, I am not God." and since nothing happened, you believe him to be God?

This new world, Dracana, which I have come to find out during training period with Priest and Yuri, has many Gods and cultist beliefs. There is the Hero God Armok, who was the first ever Hero born to fight against the perpetual revivals of the Demon King who ruled the era. He is prayed to by almost strictly the people of the Tesla Empire, who have the longstanding history of bringing in Heroes from otherworlds like Yuri Ainu, who are said to be his reincarnation. 

Then there is the Creation God, who is without name, said to have created the world and the lives inhabiting it. He is worshipped by people all around the continent.