03 | Madison & Luke

Luke's P.O.V

"Who's got you all happy?" Calum said, sitting next to me in the changing room. We had 40 minutes till the game still and currently Calum, Kyle, Josh and I were the only people here so far.

"Mad- I mean just that girl we were talking about"

"Oooohhhh" He squealed. "Let me see" I shook my head whilst quickly changing Maddie's contact name to just Madison so he wouldn't see her last name if he managed to get my phone. I quickly deleted any photos she'd sent me with her in, which was two because I regularly cleared my messages. He took my phone out my hand and started to read through some of our messages. I didn't even bother to stop him, there was no point. "She seems cool"

"She is"

"So, when do I get to meet the fantastic Madison?" He asked, reading her contact name.

"Not anytime soon"

"Why not?"

"Because I said so" I grabbed my phone again and told Calum that I'd seen her a picture and he squealed again, gaining some success. I sent Maddie the photo and laughed at her replies. Talking to her was almost a pre game ritual.

Madison's P.O.V

The usual music started to play as we stood just outside the locker rooms with the football team. We ran out on queue, doing a range of back flips and cartwheels. We then ran off the sidelines as the crowd cheered for us and then even more when the teams flooded out.

The game started less than five minutes later and within three minutes Calum had scored. And then minutes later, Luke scored and then others scored and it started to repeat. By half time we were up 23 - 16. We ran on to the pitch ready to start our home game half time routine. It started with us in a line before we all started our separate parts. It was almost symmetrical. I thought the routine was a bit messy but Chelsea thought it was perfect so we had no choice but to go with it.

When we'd finished we went and stood back at the sidelines. I watched as the teams ran back on and positioned themselves in their formations. I watched as Luke ran up the pitch with the ball and threw it down as he reached the line. They were quick to play again. We didn't waste time like other teams.

In the last 30 seconds the score was 35 - 33. Some how the other team had managed to catch up, displeasing our team. The Ocelots were our rivals. For a start, why be the Ocelots? Why just not the Tigers or something? And the school rival dated back as far as anyone can remember. It's almost a silent disagreement.

I cheered as Luke ran the final 10 yards to line and put the ball down in triumph, his team mates crowding around him and hugging him. The final whistle went and we ran onto the pitch. Not many people knew about the feud outside of the school so we had to do the usual customs such as celebrate with them at the end of the game.

"You did it" I said to Luke as the attention on him had died down and more people had rushed onto the pitch.

"I couldn't have done it without. Don't think I didn't see your happy and proud little face everytime we scored"

"Whatever Hemmings"

"Oi, Hemmings, trying to bag the trouble maker?" Kyle said, slinging an arm around Luke's shoulders whilst Jordan, another player stood on Luke's other side.

"She was just congratulating us"

"Oh well then. I wouldn't let Chels" He coughed. I mean, Chelsea catch you guys talking" My face crumpled in suspicion but brushed it off. Luke had the same look on his face.

"I need to get my stuff"

"Where's my farewell, Carter?" Luke said, changing to his cocky 'usual' self.

"Oh sorry, I forgot, bye Hemmings" I teasingly kissed his cheek, knowing that his team mates would see it as a victory for Luke and me just annoying him rather than as a sincere gesture.

"You're good, Carter, but you're not that good" He called back as I walked away. I shook my head and turned around so I was walked backwards.

"You keep telling yourself that because we both know I'm winning" I winked and turned around to get my stuff.

*****

"Number four, you did great out there" I heard the coach say to Luke as he approached him. Everyone else had left now and it was just the coach and Luke still here. And me. But I'm waiting for the blonde quarterback.

"Thanks" Luke smiled. He was just finishing putting his stuff into his bag. Luke was often the last person people here because so many wanted to talk to him. He was always so awkward when it came to talking about how good he was. He knew he was good but hated to talk about it. He didn't want to come across as cocky. He kind of did when he spoke to me at school but everyone just assumed it was out of annoyance.

"This is for you, Luke" That was one of the few times I'd ever heard the Coach Matthews call Luke by his name and not his number. He gave Luke a large white envelope. I instantly wanted to know what was in it.

"What is it?" Luke asked. I had pulled out my phone, getting bored of waiting for Luke. I was scrolling through my Instagram feed when a video started to play, making noise and drawing attention to myself. They both looked over in my direction and I smiled shyly. The coach raised his eyebrows at Luke after Luke had smiled back at me.

"Go get her, Luke. I'm sure she'd love to know what's in that letter as much as you" I heard him say and Luke smiled before watching the coach leave. I walked over to Luke who had sat down on one of the bleachers.

"Open it for me?" He asked and I nodded. I knew it was important if he didn't want to open it himself. I took it from his hands and put it on my lap, slowly starting to peel back the fold to open it. When I had opened it, I started to pull out the pieces of paper. I looked at Luke out the corner of my eye to see him looking at the pieces of paper in my hands.

"UCLA" He mumbled quietly as he read the paper header and saw the logo.

"Luke, you should read this, not me" I told him, passing the papers back to him and he nodded and silently read the first page. He suddenly stood up and I could see the smile on his face.

"I got in, Maddie! I did it!" I stood up and he picked me up, spinning me around. He put me back onto the ground and I smiled at him.

"I told you would, Luke"

"It says their scout is coming to our game next week, to watch me and see if I'm eligible for a scholarship"

"I'm so happy for you. This is what you've always dreamed of. Your grandfather would be so proud of you right now"

"He's the whole reason I'm doing this" He said.

"I know and he would be insanely happy"

"He always loved you" Luke said. "He told me that if I ever let you go, I'd be a disgrace to society" He let out a small laugh and I joined him.

"He makes you sound like such a rebel" I said to Luke as pulled me in to hug him. I rested my head on his shoulder.

"Am I not?" He paused. "I'm breaking the biggest rule known to the school for a girl" He stopped again. "But not just any girl, you" I leaned back and smiled at him before pressing a kiss to his cheek.

"You, Luke Hemmings, are the biggest cheese ball I know" I told him as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder, picked up our stuff and we walked to his car.