19 | Maddie

"You going to Luke's party tonight?" I asked Kayli as we walked to school.

"Um, yeah. Calum invited me so I thought I might go for a bit"

"He said he was going to invite you. He really likes you ya know"

"Seriously?"

"Yeah, he always talks about you"

"Who and what are we talking about?" I felt an arm slip around my shoulder and turned to see Luke had joined us and was stood in the middle, an arm around both of us. He let his arms drop to his side and his hands went into his pockets.

"Calum and how much he likes Kayli"

"Oh yeah, he practically loves you. You're all he ever talks about. Did you see what Kayli did today? God, she's so cute" He mocked Calum.

"That boy needs to just ask you out already" I said as we approached the school to see Calum stood on the steps by the entrance.

"So, Kayli, you coming to my party tonight?" Luke asked her.

"Yeah, I think I am"

"You can come to mine and get ready if you want. We'll go in my car"

"OK"

"But I'm staying at Luke's after so you'll have to find a way to get home. You could always take my car"

"Or you can stay at mine the night?" Luke offered.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, it's fine. We have three guest rooms anyway. It's a big house"

"Thanks" She said. "So, what's the dress code? I don't go to parties often"

"Um, casual"

"You don't need to dress up" I told her. "Wear what's comfortable, skirt, jeans, shorts, dress, whatever. I'll come over yours after school to help if you want"

"Yes, please"

"Luke, is it in or outside?" I asked.

"Both, probably more out though" I nodded. "Anyway, I've got to go. I'll see you guys later" With that he left, meeting up with Calum and walking off through the halls.

************

"So, what do you think about this?" Kayli asked. We were at her house now, getting some clothes for Kayli to wear tonight. She had picked out a pair of grey jeans and a black top.

"OK, I know I said pretty much anything and whatever you want but I'm on a mission to get you and Calum together so this is a no" I took it from her hands, putting it back into the wardrobe and drawers. "Kayli, I love you but the only thing I'm willing to work with is this skirt and these shoes. I have the perfect top. Get any jewellery and make up you want and we'll go back to mine. Don't forget stuff for tomorrow as well" I told her.

"I have way too much trust in you" She said and I shrugged as she got what else she needed before we left her house.

******

"Are you sure I look alright, Mads?"

"Kayli, you look great. Calum will be all over you" We were in my car on the way to Luke's. There were so many cars outside his house. I parked on the side of the road, slightly down from his after not being able to get any closer. "Lets go"

We got out the car and walked down the pavement and up the path to the front door. It was locked. I went to the back gate and pushed it open, seeing the back garden to be nearly full. We walked in and squeezed through the crowds to where Luke was sat alone on the outdoor sofas.

"Hey, I wondered where you'd got to" Luke said to me as I sat down next to him. Kayli sat on the sofa opposite.

"Sorry, it took us a while to get ready"

"You look great" He said, burying his head into my neck, leaving a kiss between each word. I lightly pushed him off me.

"Luke, how much have you drank?"

"A few beers" He mumbled. "Lighten up, Maddie. We're celebrating"

"What have we got to celebrate?"

"You going to prom with me"

"It's barely anything to celebrate"

"It is to me"

"Well, then. To us" I said, taking the beer from his hand and drinking from it.

"Hey, guys" Calum said, walking over to us. "Kayli, you look amazing" I smirked as she blushed.

"Thank Maddie"

"Well, what can I say?" I joked, lightly flipping my hair.

*****

"Maddie, there you are! I've been looking for you" Luke slurred, walking over to me. I was stood against the fence in the corner. He put his arm beside my head and used the other to hold my waist. "God, you're beautiful" He slurred again. He pressed a kiss to my neck, then to my cheek before moving closer to me. "So, so beautiful" He leaned down, lingering his lips above my own.

"L-Luke"

"Just tell me if you want me to stop" He looked into my eyes before they flickered back to my lips. He leaned down further, finally connecting our lips. His hands traveled to my waist, pulling me away from the fence. I wrapped my arms around his neck. He closed the gap between our bodies further. The kiss was hungry and lustful.

"God, Maddie, I want you so bad"

"Luke, no-"

"Why not, Maddie?" He cut me off.

"Because we're friends, Luke. This isn't the stuff that friends do"

"Maybe I don't want us to be just friends anymore"

"You don't know what you're saying. You're drunk, Luke" I started to turn away, heading in the direction of the gate.

"Madison, I mean it. Please don't go" He grabbed hold of my hand, preventing me from going further.

"Sorry, Luke, but I need to go. I need to think, please" I said and he let go, turning round and going into the crowds. I walked towards the gate. I saw Kayli stood with Calum. He was whispering in her ear. I smiled and walked over to them.

"Sorry, to interrupt but I'm leaving. Kayli, are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm good, bye" I gave them a small smile before walking out the garden and to my car. I sat in it for a few minutes thinking. After all, drunk words are sober thoughts. How things have changed...