16 | Maddie & Luke

Maddie's P.O.V

"Hey, you coming over tonight?" Luke asked as I grabbed my chemistry book from my locker.

"I don't know. We've got cheerleader tryouts after school if we don't get them done in school"

"But it's Thursday. You promised to help me with my biology work tonight"

"Oh my God, Luke, I'm sorry. I forgot about that"

"Don't worry, we could do it tomorrow instead"

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, it's fine"

"I need to go over algebraic fractions again. I have a calculator test next week and I don't even know what I don't know anymore"

"Don't worry, I'll help you. As long as you help me with respiration"

"You got it"

"You look really pretty today by the way" Luke said as we walked to Chemistry.

"Are you saying I don't look nice every other day?" I asked, smirking slightly.

"No, I- Oh, shut up. You know what I mean"

"Yeah, I do and thanks" I quickly kissed his cheek.

"Seriously though, why are you so dressed up?"

"Felt like it" I shrugged. "Plus being head cheerleader adds pressure. There's a social expectation that you should dress nicely"

"You can do what you want and I know you will. You always have" We walked into Chemistry and took our seats, Luke in front of me and Calum next to him with Kayli next to me. I saw Calum and Kayli talking and looked over at Luke who was already giving me a look of, 'let's get these two together.'

*******

"We've had zero good people today" Jenny said. "What are we going to do?"

"I have no idea. Sophie was pretty good" I looked over the sheet seeing two hopeful's names remaining. "Let's take a break and we'll see what happens next" I walked out of the gym and over into the almost empty corridors. I saw Luke leaned against the wall opposite. He caught my eye sight and smiled as I approached him.

"Hey, babe, how's it going?"

"Babe? And shit is how it's going. We've had one good tryout all day but she couldn't land her double cartwheel and hand spring"

"That means nothing to me" He said. "And it felt right"

"Whatever you say, Hemmings"

"Anyway, come to the field at lunch, I want to talk to you"

"About?"

"What I can't talk to my best friend for no reason?"

"Alright, I get it. I'll see you at lunch"

"Love you" He shouted from the end of the hall. I rolled my eyes and blew him a kiss before winking. He smirked and met up with Kyle and Josh at the end.

*****

Luke's P.O.V

"You and Maddie have gotten closer" Kyle said on the way to English.

"I guess"

"Do you like her?" Josh asked.

"Of course, she's my best friend"

"That's not what we meant, Luke"

"I love her, that's all"

"Friend or girlfriend?"

"Figure it out" I said as I took my seat in the back corner.

***

"You wanted to talk to me?" Maddie asked as she walked over to the bench I was sat on.

"Um, yeah" She sat next to me. "It's about Calum and Kayli"

"Luke! That's it? I thought it was going to be super important"

"But they're so cute and we need to get them together for prom"

"You have the mind of a 12 year old girl sometimes"

"Anyway, speaking of prom, who are you going with?"

"I had some guys ask me but I turned them all down"

"Why?"

"I'm waiting for a certain guy to ask me"

"Any hints as to who?" I asked, nudging her.

"Not that I'm telling you"

"Fine. Out of curiosity, how many guys have asked you?"

"19 so far"

"Wow"

"Hey, don't act like you haven't had hundreds of girls hint to you" I rolled my eyes. "Have you asked anyone yet?"

"Nah, I've got a girl in mind. I'm not sure she'll say yes though"

"I'm sure she will, who would say no to Luke Hemmings?"

"You'd be surprised"

"Oh, shut up" It was her turn to nudge me. "How are you gonna ask her? Have you got a promposal?" She rolled her eyes at the term.

"I've got a few ideas up my sleeve"

"Well, she's a lucky girl"

"Whoever gets you is a lucky guy" I just hope it's me.