Chapter 2 - "Why do you have an Elliot McKenzie book?"

Don't throw up. Don't throw up. Definitely don't throw up on the guy helping you. That would be super rude. And gross. And embarrassing. Which I've already had an overdose of today. So don't throw up.

"Are you okay?" Micah asked, eyeing Courtney. "You look like you're going to throw up."

Courtney grinned. Though maybe it was a grimace. She wasn't sure.

"I do but know that if I do I will do all that I can to avoid throwing up on you."

Courtney didn't even know why she felt like throwing up. She hurt her ankle, not her stomach! For a second, Courtney closed her eyes, the pain overwhelming her.

"Almost there," Micah said.

Did he sound panicked? Maybe it was the threat of being thrown up on.

They made it to Coach Ramirez's office, which doubled as a nurses station. Coach Ramirez leapt to her feet and took Courtney's other side, guiding her to the exam table. Once helped onto it, she collapsed back.

"Let's take a look at that," Ramirez said, her voice soothing and calm.

"I don't think it's a break," Courtney said, her eyes closed, willing herself not to cry.

After four years in cheer, she knew the difference a break felt as opposed to a sprain. Which looking at it was a really strange sort of knowledge to carry. Give me a clean bill of health, Doc, it ain't broke just sprained, I'll dance out of here.

Courtney fought down a laugh, pretty sure the intense pain was rattling her brain.

"This is going to hurt," Ramirez said. "Just keep breathing."

Going to hurt? It was hurting!

Ramirez tugged off Courtney's shoe and she nearly cried out as pain sliced up her leg. She curled her fists, trying to keep it together.

"That's so gross!" Micah said.

"Thank you, Micah," Courtney said, in a thin voice. "That's the phrase to every girl's heart."

"Sorry. I didn't...It's just... Sorry."

Courtney did laugh because it felt better than crying at whatever Ramirez was doing to her ankle. Did she need to poke so hard?

"Do you want to help?" Ramirez asked.

Courtney figured she was talking to Micah since, you know, Courtney was incapable of moving. And the help she was offering was not kicking Ramirez with her other foot to make her stop poking her.

"Yeah, I can. Yeah."

How adorably awkward he was.

Ramirez had shifted Courtney's ankle and Courtney decided to tune everything out, going back to the mantra of not throwing up. She breathed in and out slowly, willing her stomach to CALM DOWN!

The breathing helped as did the pain meds that Ramirez helped Courtney to take and the ice packs she wrapped around her ankle.

"All right, Cory," Ramirez said, peering down at her. "Good news. Not broken."

Thanks, Courtney could have told her that long before the poking session began.

"But it's not good," Ramirez said. "It's going to be at least two weeks before you can walk on it."

Two weeks...Two weeks! That was the entire life span of a fruit fly. Or was it? Who cared! Two weeks.

"But cheer," Courtney said.

"I'm sorry. But you'll have to fully heal, which will be about a month before you can work with the team again."

Don't cry and don't throw up.