Chapter 49 - "The real you is perfect."

Courtney slapped her nightstand, finally managing to smack her alarm into silence while also making her palm sore. Did her phone deserve the abuse? It did have the audacity to disturb her sleep after a very late night, so she thought it did.

Was she the one who implemented this disturbance, yes but it was easier to blame an inanimate object.

With the phone taught a lesson about waking her up, she turned her face into the folds of her pillows and groaned.

Was the late night worth it? Yes. She got to spend it with Micah and his very loud family.

Was the wake-up call and the day ahead of her greeting her with all the hope and cheeriness of a new day? Not really.

Though maybe it was trying, her windows were closed so she couldn't hear if there were birds chirping.

Deciding not to suffocate herself with her pillow, she turned her head but didn't move beyond that.

What is the point anyways, the tasks of the day will always be there, doesn't matter if I move now or in an hour. I could lay forever and the task would still be there. Why get up now? I see no reason. None whatsoever.

Her phone dinged, apparently it was still talking to her even after her abuse.

With the energetic reaction of a sloth, she slid it off the nightstand and checked it.

Micah:
I'm on my way.

Okay, that was a reasonable reason to get out of bed. Darn her attachment to this person, he was making her do the unthinkable, leave her bed. The audacity of men!

Micah:
I have coffee for you.

And the kindness! How dare he be cruel and thoughtful.

Courtney:
Thanks.

Spurred on by her Idiot's soon arrival, Courtney flung the blankets aside and leapt to her feet, invigorated for the day. Okay, no she didn't leap or fling but she did exit her bed. But that was a victory in its own right. The little things shouldn't be overlooked.

Dressed in an outfit appropriate for cleaning up a gym while also looking decently attractive for her boyfriend, Courtney threw her hair up into a messy ponytail. With narrowed eyes, she weighed whether to wear makeup. Look cute or practical? Micah mentioned finding her cute without makeup, which meant she could be practical and cute without it. Which conveniently meant she could be lazy and skip the ten-minute task.

Leaving her bed in an inviting mess for when she jumped back into it after the work, she left her room. In the hall, she encountered Heather climbing the stairs.

"You're up early," Courtney said.

"You assume I slept."

"That's on me. Have you found an apartment?"

Heather sighed. "I've decided to stay here."

"What? Oh happy day! Have you told Dad? I want to see if he becomes a cartoon character and zooms around the house with elation."

"No, haven't seen him yet. But I'll tell him when you're around."

"What changed your mind?"

Heather shrugged but the smile that was a hint of fondness told a different story than her dismissive shoulders.

"I realized I'd miss you all too much," she said.

"I'm glad you're staying, who else will stand in my closet and debate my attachment with my floor with me?"