Chapter 11 - "Is that how you noticed me?"

Courtney never wanted parties to end. She loved the feeling of camaraderie that they always brought. But with her party, as she moved about smiling, laughing, talking, all she wanted was for the night to be over and everyone gone.

She'd never been on the outside in a party before. That night it couldn't even be said that she was, but she felt it. Her crutches seemed to act as their own force field keeping her from joining in with it all. It was like she was in a bubble without being in a bubble.

The ache in her arms and ankle didn't help either. But then again pain rarely helped.

Finally, the party had ended. Some of the squad, who had roped in some football players, had spent a few minutes collecting trash before leaving. The house which had been bursting with noise lay quiet and mostly dark.

From where Courtney sat by the edge of the pool she could see that her parents and Heather had all gone to sleep. Miles's lights were still on. Artists and their strange night owl ways. Courtney didn't move from her spot, the cool water encasing her ankle and the cold pizza keeping her company.

She heard the sound of crinkling trash and saw Aiden walking out the back door with two trash bags in hand. He headed around the house to the trash cans. The action felt so normal to the couple they had been, always helping the other clean up after a party, that Courtney didn't find it at all strange.

It wasn't until he returned and approached her that she realized they weren't together anymore. Right, forgot that detail for a moment.

"Can I sit?" he asked.

"Sure."

He settled adjacent to her and Courtney slid the pizza box towards him. It had only survived because her parents had stolen it and eaten only part of it.

"Thanks," Aiden said, taking a slice.

They didn't speak as they sat there. Strange. Completely strange and completely normal.

Courtney looked over at Aiden, he was attractive, no denying that. Strong jaw, pretty eyes, great hair. Yet, Courtney didn't feel longing, regret, or sadness.

She'd seen countless breakups: The Angry breakup, The Pretend It Didn't Mean Anything breakup, The Ignore Each Other breakup, The Instantly Date Someone New breakup, The Cry At The Drop of A Hat breakup, The It Was Mutual breakup.

She'd seen and walked so many of her friends through every variation of these types of breakups. Despite how they all appeared on the outside, there was always sadness, loss.

Now she sat by her ex and the strongest thing she felt was relief that the party was over.

Was she broken? Oh my gosh! Was she a psychopath?

Wait, would a psychopath even ask themselves if they were a psychopath? Did that mean she wasn't one just because she asked herself that question? I think therefore I am type dealio.

She could still remember how giddy she'd been when Aiden first asked her out. Lynn had been thrilled that her childhood friend was getting together with her best friend. They both had screamed and jumped up and down. Those feelings had been real.

So where did they go?

She'd told Micah she didn't love Aiden. Had she ever?

Heavens above this was an annoying place to be! Why couldn't she be like her other friends who sobbed while drowning themselves in ice cream! That sounded nice and completely normal. She could drown herself in ice cream but the depth of sadness wasn't there to make it worth it.

Heavy sigh, I hate this.

"It was a good party," Aiden said.

"Yeah, no fights and no breakups."