Chapter 20 - "Please go away."

Courtney left her history class at the end of the day Friday feeling like she could dance her way to Coach's office. Dancing might be a poor way to go since her ankle wasn't fully healed and could set her back.

Fine, she'd float to Coach on a cloud of excited eagerness. The best way to travel... The third best way to travel, there was By Map and teleportation after all.

"Today's the day!" Aubrey said, bouncing next to Courtney.

Bounce away dear Aubrey, I don't mind for I will bounce with you very soon. Okay maybe not right away, but I'll be a literal step closer.

"Today is the day!" Courtney echoed, beaming.

Her smile seemed to radiate from her and attracted the attention of everyone she passed. Hellos and heys flew to her and she responded with chipper greetings. She wasn't sure she'd ever used chipper before but it felt right with the occasion.

"See you on the other side!" Aubrey said, splitting ways with Courtney.

"See you on the other side of the war!"

Courtney headed down the hall to Coach's office, forcing herself to reign in the desire to skip there. Disastrous endings would come of it, no doubt. Too close to the end zone to not finish the sprint right.

"Hey Doc," Courtney said.

Coach Ramirez smiled at Courtney and nodded to the exam table.

"Take a seat," she said. "And we'll check up on that ankle."

Don't skip, don't skip, walk like the normal, slightly injured, human being you are. Courtney did allow herself the pleasure of hopping up to the exam table. One concession to her excitement. Human again, I'll be human again, knickknacks and whatnots no more! I'll be human again.

Woah, Beauty and the Beast lyrics, really throwing it back today.

She settled her ankle on the table and waited, though not very patiently since her body seemed to be a phone on vibrate and her nerves were repeatedly calling.

"You can lie back," Ramirez said.

Courtney did, staring up at the ceiling, willing herself not to wiggle. She wasn't much of a wiggler but maybe today would be a first.

To calm herself, she thought of the practice to come, getting back into the gym and assessing how the team was coming together. How was Rosa doing with her timing? Had Kimber learned how to smile instead of frown in concentration? Ashton still needed to work on her point. The routine would have to be reworked since she would reclaim-

Ow!

Courtney lifted her head, eyeing Coach. More poking why was is there always more poking? The poking should have been over.

Ouch! Jeez, stop the poking. I'm not a pincushion.

"Cory, go ahead and sit up," Coach said.

Courtney did. Where's my clean bill of health, Doc? I have some bouncing, dancing, skipping, and wiggling to do!

Ramirez pulled out her chair and rolled it over to the exam table. When she sat and looked at Courtney, the feeling of wanting to wiggle vanished. I don't like that expression. Change it to something more hopeful, please.

"Okay," Ramirez said with a sigh.

Nope, so not good. Abort, abort! Abandon ship! Run, Cory, run! Ha, that was a joke because pretty sure a sigh has just winded me.

"Cory," Coach said. "Your ankle isn't at the state I thought it would be by now. I hoped you would be walking out of here with only a brace. But it's still delicate enough that that's not going to be the case."