Chapter 29 - "You are brilliant and I love you!"

By the time Courtney reached the gate to the Oaks Estate, her understanding of where Max was coming from had settled in, but where they would go from there? Courtney had no clue. Understanding Max's actions didn't excuse them. But she didn't care for the idea of confronting her.

Courtney sighed and rested her head against her seat, staring at the gate.

What's the next step?

Go home.

Solid step if I've ever come up with one. Max, I'm putting you away in: Things To Deal With When The Time Arises for the time being. Enjoy your stay along with Micah and Could He Be Avoiding Me?

Oh, definitely not thinking about that.

Courtney punched in the gate code and watched as the iron gates swung slowly open. She drove, the canopy of leaves creating patches of dappled light across the road. Oh look, it's pretty, so pretty it's all I can think about. Or at least convince myself it's all I'm thinking about and not about... That person and that issue.

The pretty light, Courtney, focus on the pretty light.

Courtney turned into her driveway and hit the brakes. Parked at her front door was a familiar Jeep. Courtney felt her heart hiccup.

What? Since when can a heart hiccup? My ankle stops working properly and everything feels the need to act out. Jeez.

Courtney remained there, staring at Micah's car, clutching the steering wheel.

"Definitely should move. It would look weird if I stayed here," she said.

Okay. Moving forward. Shockingly enough, she actually listened to herself and managed to park her car and get out. As she approached the front door, she half expected Micah to be sitting on the front step. He'd look up and stand as she approached. He'd do that nervous hair tug and say 'hey' like it meant a million things.

Micah wasn't on the front step.

Naturally. What idiot would wait outside? I mean he was an Idiot, not an idiot. There was a difference.

Micah wasn't waiting in the foyer either when Courtney walked into the house. It didn't matter, she knew where he was. After all her parents were still working at home for that week. Seeing a lone soul waiting outside their house they wouldn't miss the opportunity. Feedback was feedback.

Courtney paused in the doorway to her parents' office and saw Micah sitting in one of the large black swivel chairs and her father standing before the wall of screens, pointing to one. At least they gave him a comfy chair to sit in.

"Dad," Courtney said. "You can not commandeer my friends just because they come over."

Micah twisted around and her father looked at her. The relief on Micah's face told Courtney he'd been there longer than she realized.

"Come on, Micah," she said. "I'm stealing you back."

Micah hurriedly stood. "It was nice to see you, Mr. Hart." He lifted a packet of papers. "I'll answer these questions and get it back to you."

Courtney rolled her eyes. Her father was completely ridiculous.

"I appreciate it, Micah. Where are you two going?" her father asked.

"My sewing room," Courtney said.

"All right."

Beyond the door, Micah let out a breath.

"How long were you trapped in there?" she asked.

"Half an hour."

"Sorry I didn't come home sooner."