Chapter 19 - "I said attractive, not hot."

Courtney half focused on the path to Micah's car and half observed Micah. He walked with his eyes pinned on the ground, his hand tugging at his curls and a line between his brows. If Courtney had to make a deduction: he was either thinking very hard or he was playing a game of Where's Waldo with the cement.

If it was the latter then that would be a quick game, a man in red and white stripes would stand out on the dark pavement. Also, she wondered what Waldo would be doing at their high school. Did he take a wrong turn?

Clearly, her thoughts had taken a wrong and strange turn.

As they both opened their doors to Micah's car, Micah glanced back at the school. What the glance meant, Courtney had no clue. Some Sherlock Holmes she made.

She climbed into the passenger seat and maneuvered her crutches into the back. Which was a difficult but exhilarating feat since decapitation was a possibility for her and Micah. But luckily, their heads remained where they should be and the crutches were put in their place. Life was wild sometimes.

"Penny for your thoughts," Courtney said as Micah drove away from the high school. "Though with inflation, I feel like it should be dollar for your thoughts." She pointed to herself. "I would personally pay ten dollars for your thoughts, but not a penny more."

Micah smiled distractedly. Oh! Must be some intense thoughts for a distracted smile.

"I was wondering...I know it's not my business but..."

The broken sentences are back! I had thought they were gone.

"Micah if you don't spit it out now I'm going to retract my ten dollars and only pay you a penny."

This received a genuine smile and Courtney relaxed back into her seat. A much better smile than a distracted one.

"I was wondering if you and Aiden were getting back together since I saw him...uh...carrying you."

Ah! So not searching for Waldo on the ground, merely thinking.

"No we're not back together, I was simply being dramatic about my ankle hurting and he offered to carry me."

"Oh. Is it okay?"

"Yeah, the pain went down."

Still throbs like it's at a rave but that I've gotten used to. But come Friday the party will be over and my ankle can take up a sensible activity like doing nothing at all.

"You both seemed very...comfortable for exes."

Courtney leaned her head back against the seat and stared out the window, feeling the wind as it swept over her. If only the wind could whip away all the troubles in her life, she could leave them on the highway where they'd be run over a million times.

"Yeah...it's complicated. My best friend is his childhood best friend and we've been hanging out in the same friend group since freshman year. So it's not like we don't see each other and..."

Also, the whole relationship was a big ball of emotional strings that are currently knots leading to more knots leading to knitting needles that want to stab you.

Okay, need to back off the string analogy.

"I'm sorry."

"It's...what it is. Have you ever been in a breakup?" Courtney asked, looking over at him.

His curls bounced in the breeze and she had the oddest desire to watch them the whole ride.

"Yeah, but it wasn't complicated."

"No?"

"Nope. She dumped me for someone else. Pretty cut and dry."

"Now I'm sorry."